Do I really need the foam absorber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need the foam absorber?

I'm converting my firebird 93-97 to a 98-02 trans am front and I have everything (fenders, hood, bumper cover, impact bar, fog lights, side marker lights, parking lamps..I think thats it) besides the foam absorber....do I REALLY need it??? I mean i heard people doing it for lighter weight, besides totally getting owned in a front end collision will it matter as far as keeping the bumpers shape and what not? Thanks

Re: Do I really need the foam absorber?

I don't have mine, and people that have the intercooler up there don't either.. the way I see it, is there are people that drive around with aftermarket steering wheels, and that is way worse.. There are people that never wear seatbelts. I'm saying, those things completely dwarf the fact you have no absorber..

I mean yeah.. it will suck a little more if you got into a crash without the absorber than with the absorber.. but it's something i'm willing to risk.

So basically, I say **** it.

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx View Post
      I don't have mine, and people that have the intercooler up there don't either.. the way I see it, is there are people that drive around with aftermarket steering wheels, and that is way worse.. There are people that never wear seatbelts. I'm saying, those things completely dwarf the fact you have no absorber..

I mean yeah.. it will suck a little more if you got into a crash without the absorber than with the absorber.. but it's something i'm willing to risk.

So basically, I say **** it.
      So as far as saying **** it, it wont affect the shape of the bumper correct???

Comment

The bumper will be very squishy without it. I am serious.

I would get it but thats just me.

Comment

I'd get it as well.

Comment

I've been in a front end collision in an f-body...IMO the foam absorber does alot for not only saving the car's frame (mine wasn't totaled, thankfully) as well as lessening the impact on your body... I know none of us think we're ever going to get into an accident but as a safeguard I'd go ahead and get it...plus it gives the front fascia extra support since it's only urethane...paint might crack if someone were to lean on it too firmly...etc.
            Y87 Package
            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic
            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
              plus it gives the front fascia extra support since it's only urethane...paint might crack if someone were to lean on it too firmly...etc.
              X2. I've seen it before, someone barely bumps a curb or parking bump with their front bumper, or hits a small animal, it will start spiderwebbing and cracking. And that's with the support in place. If you care alot about appearance, and apparently you do if your taking the time and money to do a front end swap, i would put the foam support in i had the money to. It would suck to have someone lean on your car or just somthing small push into it and messed it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1994camaroV6 View Post
                X2. I've seen it before, someone barely bumps a curb or parking bump with their front bumper, or hits a small animal, it will start spiderwebbing and cracking. And that's with the support in place.
                Absolutely. One other thing, as a side note...not sure if you're getting it painted, but make sure whoever paints it uses "flex base" in their mixture. Goes a long way to preventing this sort of 'cosmetic catastrophe'.
                :tup::tup:
                Y87 Package
                MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                BONE APPROVED!
                VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                Team Black...TEAM EMO
                sigpic
                Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

If you can use a 98-02 Firebird/Formy style then here is a guy parting out his firebird. I'm sure he still has it.http://stlouis.craigslist.org/car/585527578.html

or: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/575641086.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X