vaseline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaseline?

so according to my moms boyfriend, who has owned a few t-top vehicles from about 70's-80's
    rubbing Vaseline on the rubber will make it last longer, leak less and not crack, so i figured wtf why not,

i think it helped but the way they're designed i don't see how the Vaseline could really help any

has anyone even heard of this?

Re: vaseline?

and also, haven't t-top/weatherstripping technologies improved a good bit since the 70's?

Comment

I could see it helping to create a more water tight seal. My dad uses vaseline on the gaskets in his pool pump. He says it helps to keeps the rubber gaskets in good shape and from prematurely failing. So I guess it could help. But if it's alcohol based then I can't see it helping at all. Because eventually after alot of use the alcohol will just dry the rubber up leaving it to crumble.
      <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

im pretty sure theres no alcohol,

Comment

I would think it might help a bit... keep it from drying out if its in the sun but I'd say your okay without it.
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

My dad owned a 79 Silver anny edition? I think with t tops and he said that he rubbed his down in motor oil

Comment

yeah i was kind of thinking its just an older car thing,
              but it did make the rubber a lot shiner. and i put some on the rubber between the windows and the doors as well,
              his reasoning was that when it gets really hot and you open the door or take off the t's it will pull some of the rubber off. when i was doing it i did notice that the driver's side looked a lot more worn than the passenger side, so maybe hes onto something.

Comment

yup, i put vaseline on mine. mainly because my stepdad used it on his '79 Trans am.

Comment

i don't see why it would hurt anything. I might try it, but my stuff still looks new. nice tip though. good post.
                  #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

yeah you can use vasaline. i use a silicon grease type stuff every spring and fall on all my rubber stripping. helps its longevity. all in all same stuff basically
                    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

sweet
                      i'll have to start listing to him more often

Comment

might tell my dad to do it to his vette. would armor all do the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by niik000 View Post
                          might tell my dad to do it to his vette. would armor all do the same thing?
                          i have no idea
                          i would probably just go with vaseline to be safe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X