polish for yellow headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polish for yellow headlights

so i have disgusting headlights and wanna polish them up. i read the write up on here and was wondering if there was any kind of polish i could use that you can just buy at a store and not online. i dont know where i would get the polish that they have in the write up other than online.

so anyone know of something that would work that is available at normal stores?

Re: polish for yellow headlights

I know someone who used Meguiers 3 Step car polish. Just step 1 and 2 though

Comment

I just did mine (will post up pictures later) and found one that works the best is the Novus 3 Step Plastic Polish. I tried Meguire's Plastx but it didn't work. Autozone has something called Blue Magic, but I don't think it's as permanent as some of these others.

You can usually find Novus online, but try calling some of the auto stores, or even some pet stores. Apparently it's also used for cleaning out fish tanks...
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Advance Auto Parts and Autozone sell a kit in the headlight aisle. It costs about $25. I used it on my wife's Mitsubishi and it worked great. It comes with a sealer, so after you sand them and get them looking great, you apply this sealer so they stay looking great. Very simple to do and the kit comes with instructions.

Comment

i used mothers plastic polish and it worked great for me

Comment

oh jesus.
            1500 grit wetsand to remove the oxidation... ie "yellow". plastic oxidizes and turns yellow, wetsand it off till it looks clear.
            machine buff with 3m micro finishing compound... ie use a medium to rough cut buffing compound with a buffer.

end result- brand new lenses. anything less and you get what you put the effort into. these are all products you can get off the shelf at any paint and supply store. for that matter most regular auto parts stores carry... discount, advance, auto zone, pep boys, etc.

i need to do a write-up with pics. its a 3 step process including clean up. too easy.
            foggy headlights? wetsand... buff... WAX!!!
            if nissan motorsports is nismo does that mean honda motorsports is homo?

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroJeff™ View Post
              oh jesus.
              1500 grit wetsand to remove the oxidation... ie "yellow". plastic oxidizes and turns yellow, wetsand it off till it looks clear.
              machine buff with 3m micro finishing compound... ie use a medium to rough cut buffing compound with a buffer.

end result- brand new lenses. anything less and you get what you put the effort into. these are all products you can get off the shelf at any paint and supply store. for that matter most regular auto parts stores carry... discount, advance, auto zone, pep boys, etc.

i need to do a write-up with pics. its a 3 step process including clean up. too easy.

The only thing I would add is some sort of clearcoat, or sealer. If not they will turn yellow again very quickly. That is why I bought the kit. It has been over 6 months and they are still crystal clear.

Comment

thats why you wax them after buffing. forgot to mention that.

i will, however, bet that wetsanding and buffing them makes them more clear than any "kit" you can buy off the shelf.

if i can get my hands on a nice yellow headlight ill do a video demo...

Comment

thats why you wax them after buffing. forgot to mention that.

i will, however, bet that wetsanding and buffing them makes them more clear than any "kit" you can buy off the shelf.

if i can get my hands on a nice yellow headlight ill do a video demo...

The kit is "wet sanding and buffing" materials. Your write up is perfect.

My only point is wax washes off. A clearcoat sealer does not.

Comment

a proper wax job will not wash off unless youre using dish washing detergent. clear coating the lenses would ultimately provide the best results... but not everyone has the facilities to do that. besides, if you clearcoat them theres no need to buff. ive been doing paint, body work, and collision for the past 7 years now. ive tired a few different ways and i like to think i know the ones that work and the ones that dont ;)

Comment

I'm trying a different approach with mine. I'm going to wet sand it smooth with 600 grill, then shoot it with an automotive polyurethane clear coat. Next, buff it out like a new paint job. Auto clear has a UV filter in it that should keep it clear for a long time.

EDIT: lol... I just saw your write up there Jeff. I basically just repeated you. Opps.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

if you sand them with 600 and clear you will have scratches showing. heaviest grit you can sand and clear without having scratches is 1000.

Comment

if you sand them with 600 and clear you will have scratches showing. heaviest grit you can sand and clear without having scratches is 1000.
                          10-4!!

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X