can I save my console????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I save my console????????????

I recently painted my center console black and now I tryed painting it again but now its starting to get those spider cracks I was just wondering what could I do to save me from buying another one. I have seen some people paint there center consoles but I want it to have that shiny fiberglass look but be in black. I already have console out of my car its a big bulky piece and I will have time tommorrow to do something so can anyone help me

Re: can I save my console????????????

I would sand all the paint off. Then get a plastic paint primer then plastic paint and finish off with a good clear coat.
    Im not too sure about what all plastic paints they have but I would look for Krylon Fusion. It claims no primer and sanding needed but I would do those anyways, at least sanding of the old paint.
    Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

You're going to have to sand the whole thing smooth. I'd say at least 220, preferably 400 grit to get a truly smooth and shiny finish. Personally I prefer a plain black plastic look, which I've acquired easily with a product from SEM, but a smooth finish will require more prep and a good smooth surface to start with.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

the problem is sanding into the cup holder area front and back area I really didn't want to use spray paint becase I know its gonna chip off I wanted to use the bucket paint and use a brush so I can make the paint as thick as I want in black.

My only other choice is taking it to someone and having it painted professional at a paint shop or something any idea on how much that would cost

Comment

A brush is one way to do it, but you will never get a perfect smooth finish with a brush. Personally I'd just tape off the cup holders and do the rest.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

you seem to know a lot about painting why would the paint start getting spider cracks after I spray a few coats of paint on the already painted console. I used krylon fusion btw theres even spider cracks inside the cup holders

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
              A brush is one way to do it, but you will never get a perfect smooth finish with a brush. Personally I'd just tape off the cup holders and do the rest.

what about a paint roller would that work

Comment

Spider cracks normally come from impact or flexing in the painted item. If you're getting spider cracks, you might want to consider a paint with more flex. I'm not sure of the composition of kyrlon fusion, but enamel is a more flexible paint, whereas lacquer is a much harder paint that will crack rather than flex. I would probably skip right to vinyl paint if you are getting spider cracks, which has more flex than most paints and should flex rather than crack. Whatever you do, you'll have to at least sand the old paint off, otherwise it will crack like it has no matter what you do.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

A paint roller is much like a brush. Technically, with enough work you could make either work and be very smooth and good looking, but straight from a spray gun(can) is your best bet. A paint roller will not be nearly as smooth, and it will require a lot of color sanding as they call it to get rid of the large amounts of orange peel that are sure to be there.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by eric v6 View Post
                    you seem to know a lot about painting
                    note the title under his sn.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

yeah i want to do this too... do you have any manual on how to take our whole dash off? im scared to take it off and fck it up like my 10 yrs ago with my VCR player... does the haynes repair book cover this?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                      Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Comment

The Spider cracks could also be caused by spraying an acrylic over enamel, or vice versa, I can't remember which one, but that'd cause it. If you do use spray paint, make sure and use the same type for primer, color, and clear... same brand even, if possible.
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

yea i spray painted mine...after my first try (b4 i joined here) turned out a disaster.lol got some advice here, followed exactly wat they said (being patient was the hardest 4 me) and it came out perfect, no complains here...id say sanding did the most for me

Comment

Somebody sat on mine and broke it, so I fiberglassed mine. Turned out pretty good. Its kinda heavy though.

Comment

how do I fiberglass my console please tell me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X