polishing intake manifold, TB, and alternator - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polishing intake manifold, TB, and alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: polishing intake manifold, TB, and alternator

thanks 3.4, ordering brake reservour cover friday and then just gone really try to clean it up, add some MSD coils and lines - should look nice

the little filter is from the PVC vacum system. From factory there is a long tube that goes from the left valve cover to the stock elbow, collecting fresh air from the standard air filter. I didnt want to drill another hole in the new elbow and wanted to get rid of that hose so i got a little air filter from spectre, cut the hose and added the filter to the ed on it matching the red confilter on the intake. same thing just two filters instead of one.
    1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
    Comp Cam 260h w/ 1.6 rockers, J&M STB, UMI 3pt SFC's, Spohn RCA's + Adj. PHR, KYB AGX Shocks, PS Headers, Cutout, Posi Rear w/3.42's, Aluminum DS, Wings West Body Kit, SS Hood/Spoiler, 17" TT2's 9.5/11" 275/315's, 5% tint
    sigpic

Comment

have fun going from 100 to 2000 on that upper intake. its going to take forever, but it is possible. id suggest painting the upper intake, and polishing your other items there. take your time and dont skip grit levels. spend plenty of time on every grit till you're sure you're ready to move on. follow the 2000 grit up with some mothers metal polish.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

2000 grit? hm...i was told to go to 1500, but hey whatever, i bet it'll shine a lot better going to 2000

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

question...how did you guys get between the tiny lettering where it says 3800 Series II? Theres no way I can get down in there with sandpaper...dremel i take it?

also, TomRS, did it not take very long to get all the casting off with your dremel?
          Last edited by 99BlackW68; 05-08-2008, 01:52 PM.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

it was pretty quick with the dremel. but after you use the dremel it will look hacked. thats when you have to smooth it out by hand. also most ppl just paint the little area that says 3800 II You wont notice it too much
            1997 Camaro LS1 RS
            1994 Camaro - Sold
            1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

is that what you did? can i see a pic of yours? which attachment did you use to get between the lettering? i am using this pointed orange grinder, and it leaves it looking pretty crappy, and i cant get sandpaper bettween the letters so how will i make it look good?

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

I say just leave the intake, tb, and alternator alone. Whats the point in polishing it? is your car a showcar? probably not. Are you going to repolish the new alternator when this one quits working? probably not, lol. does it add horsepower ? probably not. and doesn't do much for looks, its in the engine bay. You must be super bored if thats what you want to spend your time doing. lol no offense. just seems like a waste of time...polishing paint, thats a whole nother story.
                #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

well, my car is my hobby, simple as that. and yes i put my car in shows, and no im not going to repolish the new alternator when it goes out...im going to switch the housings from the old one to the new one so that it is polished within minutes :P of course it doesnt add horsepower, but that isnt the point. I want my car looking her best when I pop that hood so I can be even more proud of my 3800 when its shining and looking amazing. as for it not doing much for looks? you must be crazy! besides...im way past the "leave it alone" part.

so...back to the question above :D

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

i didnt polish my intake or throttle body because i am impatient. let me find a few pics
                    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                    1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

here are a few pics. as you can see the alt is polished and the intake i just painted. You will not notice the spots you miss in the "3800" also i used a reg sanding wheel like the ones at the top here https://www.internationaltool.com/dremelsandacc.htm

1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                      1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

fair enough, but i decided to be impatient too so im going to take them all to a metal finishing place here in town and have them bead blast them and then plate them in chrome. now i just need to see what the price is....hopefully not too much :D

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

chrome i would say in the ballpark of 400-500. chrome is not cheap at all
                          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                          1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

yeah...im taking them all to them today to get an estimate on cost. they arent ready yet to be done...we'll have to drill out the rivets from the...sensors/actuators of the throttle plate??....from the side of the throttle body so they can do the work on it.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

can you even chrome an intake ? dont think i ever seen one
                              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                              1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

you aren't gonna be able to take apart that DBW throttle body and have it chromed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X