I m gonna do my t top conversion by myself help - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I m gonna do my t top conversion by myself help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I m gonna do my t top conversion by myself help

Okay I bought a complete t top conversion kit for 200 $ shipped that came with everything needed but I took the kit to my mechanic and he is scared to do it saying the the front window needs support and that it was gonna cave in. So I leave and take it to a bodyshop and them bastards wanna charge me a minimum of 800$ Im like hell naw. I figure I would rather do it myself Im gonna have 3 or 4 off days since Im gonna work about 2 weeks straight so that should be enough time to get things done.

Im gonna go to walmart and buy all the tools needed to start the conversion I already have 2 big tubes of black silicone what else do I need I know I need cutting tools but Im not sure what kind of cutting tools are needed. How much am I looking at spending on those tools which isn't a problem because in the end I will be gaining I will have brand new tools and a converted t top camaro and it will not cost nothing near 800$.

When I took the car to the bodyshop they kept asking me where the other car was from the t tops came and they said they needed the car so they could get the measurements Im like there are really no measurements you just measure from where the weatherstripping goes and give yourself a inch or two so you can bend the excess metal with weatherstripping part. I know they tried to scam me but I wasn't having that so Im gonna be needing everyones help

Re: I m gonna do my t top conversion by myself help

I used a hacksaw blade in a one handed hacksaw that had the front half the the blade completely exposed. There are certainly faster ways of doing it, but this way left a great straight cut. The tool I used the most hands down was the air powered 3" cut off tool, and next was the 6" electric grinder. Get a set of vice grips and a good hacksaw or sawzall. Maybe a meduim cut file and a good sharp steak knife. You'll also need a drill with some decent sized bits, and basic tools like pliers and screw drivers.

The walk throughs cover it fairly well, the parts they don't cover really aren't too complicated.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I see some people used a dremel to cut off the top skin do I just cut from the rear of the car or do I need to cut from all 4 sides to remove the roof skin like will I have to cut up there by my windshield to remove the roof skin because I haven't seen anyone cut up there by thier windshield. Okay I need a dremel and a sawzall with thick blades a couple of different size screw drivers some vice grips and a power drill which I already have Im not to sure how powerful it is though. I figure I can get all this stuff under 200 dollars maybe less seeing as thats how much I was willing to pay someone to do it for me

Comment

I just checked on ebay and those dremels and sawzalls aren't pricey at all so Im going to walmart asap to get those tools and cut this roof off hopefully I want be one of the first ones to screw up thier t top conversion

Comment

get a dremel at walmart and get a pack of those cutoff blades. A sawzall u can buy from homedepot a ryobi for 60-80 dollars and if u keep it nice u can return it when u are done using it.
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

that dremel can also act as a grinder right because I wanna make it look good my car is red like yours but I wanna paint mine like you did but in black. Did you just straight paint it or did you primer it first then pull out the spray can

Comment

whered you manage to get a t-top conversion kit, i thought u had to collect everything your self

Comment

Some people just sell all that is needed to convert to t-tops.

Personally I had my dremel set up and ready but didn't use it once. I found the cut off wheel and grinder to be much more effective. But a dremel would work fine too, and is probably easier to use.

You only have to cut at the back of the roof skin. Once you pull off the other trims, it's just glued down.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

invest in a spot weld cutter!!!

and what is the black silicone for? And dont buy a battery powered dremel!

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

That's what the drill is for...

Maybe the black silicon is for sealing the holes? Not sure, I didn't use any, just some weatherstripping adhesive.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

okay I just bought the dremel it was an electric one this thing does everything. Okay now I gotta get something to cut the sides off. I seen a reciprocating saw at walmart for 60 bucks it looked like it would work does anyone know if indeed it will if so Im buying it today

Comment

on my stock t-tops there is some sort of black silicon around a lot of the rubber pieces at the edge where water drains.
                        also that black bar in the center that holds the tops down is glued down.

Comment

Originally posted by eric v6 View Post
                          okay I just bought the dremel it was an electric one this thing does everything. Okay now I gotta get something to cut the sides off. I seen a reciprocating saw at walmart for 60 bucks it looked like it would work does anyone know if indeed it will if so Im buying it today
                          Yeah, sawzall is just a brand name reciprocating saw. Just make sure you get the right blades. I didn't break any and one was enough for me, but I'd have 2-3 extras just in case, because all it takes is one slip and the blade will snap and just make the whole thing take longer if you have to go buy more.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Dude good luck with the conversion. I live in San Antonio, if i was any closer I would have help you out since I did the t top conversion on my car. But like many others have said its not that hard. good luck and later

Comment

yeah the bad thing now is I just got informed at work that I will only have 2 days off instead of 3 or 4 days like I really need but when you are a supervisor thats the price you pay

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X