cleanin engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleanin engine

whats up everyone? i just wanted to know the proper way to clean an engine. i dont want to wet something electrical that will mess up my car. i have a 2000 firebird and my engine is very dirty. been wanting to clean it but i dont know how. please help thanks. i know this is a dumn question.

Re: cleanin engine

i use a degreaser, brush, and rag and just get everything i can...turns out pretty nice

Comment

might try enginebrite. Its like a spray on foam or something. Never tried it personally, but others say its great

Comment

I cleaned up my friends hideously dirty engine bay about a month ago. Go to a local autopart store and get a can of degreaser, then get some plastic walmart bags and a small and larger brush and go to a local self wash carwash site. The kind where you get a wand and a dial selector and put in quarters. (this is because of the draining system. Engine degreaser is not good to drain from your driveway to the storm drains.) Some of those sites even have a degreaser option on the wand. Cover up your electronic components including coil packs, alternator, battery, etc. and spray on the degreaser. let it sit for a minute or two then scrub it down with the brushes. I then used the degreaser option on the wand and sprayed the bay down with that, and scrubbed a bit more, then rinsed off. Take off the bags and you can clean up the electrical components by other means without running water or too much liquid. the engine bay looked brand new on his 87 buick.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I use Simple Green Max and a cloth. For dirty metal parts/battery terminals I use either a stainless steel or brass wire brush. Occasionally I'll use a light stream of water from the garden hose and a wash mitt with some soap if its really dirty. For engine compartment detailing I use Meguire's Vinyl and Rubber Protectant. As long as you don't use a pressure washer and excessive amounts of chemicals you should be fine.

Comment

also don't take water to it if the engine is hot. Hot engine + cold water = Yikes

but yea cover the PCM and coils with plastic bags and such and you will be fine
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X