Stripping aluminum wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping aluminum wheels

So without going into too much detail, I now have a set of 8 year old wheels that need to be refinished.

They have a huge machined lip (about 3 inches deep) and 5 spokes that are painted silver. When the wheels were made, they put a clear coating over the whole wheel. After 8 years or so, the clear coating began to crack and chip, and fade all over the wheel. I intend to strip them bare, then either paint or powdercoat the spokes. I picked up some stuff at a parts store called simply "Aircraft remover" which to me would imply that it's designed to remove aircrafts, but whatever, I didn't name it. It took the clear coat off the machined lip with ease, but I'm having alot of trouble cleaning up the painted portion of the wheel. Does anybody have any suggestions for something else to try? I'm half tempted to just tape off the lip and sand blast the thing, but I'm a little worried about damaging the alloy.
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Re: Stripping aluminum wheels

don't sandblast it, try glass beading or walnut shell blasting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X