Reverse open hood??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse open hood??

Just wondering, looking to do something alittle different. Has anyone done or seen a 4th gen. camaro with a reverse opening hood? Thought it might be a pretty cool deal.

Re: Reverse open hood??

i have never seen it... but it would be totally disfunctoinal and would make it a pain in the *** to work on your car with it... also with our long front ends i dont see how it would open, unless it lifted the hood UP and then rotated it.

Comment

I believe the term its referred to is called a suicide hood. 2 problems I see. 1 - it would make working on the engine a PITA. 2 - the front bumper sticks out too far, so you would either need extremely long hinges for the hood to come out and over the bumper, or some kind of system where the front of the hood stays stationary and folds down slightly just before the bumper. Either way, IMO it would be a total waste of money and be really inconvenient when it comes time to do regular maintenance such as changing the spark plugs.
      <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

Originally posted by blindeyed View Post
        I believe the term its referred to is called a suicide hood. 2 problems I see. 1 - it would make working on the engine a PITA. 2 - the front bumper sticks out too far, so you would either need extremely long hinges for the hood to come out and over the bumper, or some kind of system where the front of the hood stays stationary and folds down slightly just before the bumper. Either way, IMO it would be a total waste of money and be really inconvenient when it comes time to do regular maintenance such as changing the spark plugs.
        Actually it’s not hard to work on any car that the hood opens that way. My vettes are a lot easier to work on than the camaros. 2nd all you would need is a couple of vette hinges.

Now the problem with f-bodies doing this is that there is no where to bolt the hinges on the front part of the hood. The hood is supported and braced in the rear, where the stock hinges are. For this to work you would need to make up a frame, that could support the whole hood, and have a place to bolt the new hinges to. Then you would need to modify your radiator support, for when the hinges close (to clear,) and also have a place for them to bolt. :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by ZO6vette037 View Post
          Actually it’s not hard to work on any car that the hood opens that way. My vettes are a lot easier to work on than the camaros. 2nd all you would need is a couple of vette hinges.
          I don't know about you, but I find myself having to lean over the front of my car quite often when working on it. Guess it's all just a matter of personal preference really.
          <b>1995 Pontiac Firebird</b> || 3.4L V6

Comment

I've seen it done before. It looked really badass.

The only thing is you pretty much have to re-do the entire upper radiator support.

and it's a b*tch to fabricate.
            Y87 Package
            MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
            Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
            BONE APPROVED!
            VANBIBBER APPROVED!
            KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
            Team Black...TEAM EMO
            sigpic
            Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

I was pretty sure it would take some kind of frame work to hold it in place, convience and function were never an issue. It's all about being different and the shock appeal, and the "How'd he do that?" that I am looking for. We've all "dropped em, put ground effects on em, put the new exhaust on em, new wheels, expensive air boxes and hoods. Just trying to come up with something new. Thanks for all the input. It does sound like it's going to be a PITA to do it. But if it was easy, it wouldn't be Hot Roddin. Have a great weekend guy's. It's raining here in Fla. Good time to get out the tape messure.

Comment

i've thought about doing it. but figured its too much work.
                theres a car thats in alot of junkyards that has suicide hoods. a Lumina pops in my head, but thats probably not it. but i thought of taking the hood hindges off of one of those and using them.

Comment

That's even a pretty good idea that I haven't thought of.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X