Clear Coat (spray paint)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coat (spray paint)

WTF am I doing wrong? I'm trying to clear coat my nightshaded tails to give them a bit more gloss; every time I try (on my 4th attempt now) it doesn't dry clear, it comes out grey! I shake the can plenty (roughly 2-3 minutes) and spray from about 8"-10" out. What am I doing wrong? I tried with some cheap (Krylon, IIRC) clear coat and thought maybe it was the paint, so I went and bought some Duplicolor. It always turns out a greyish color for me :( Does the paint need to cure first? (curing time is 7 days!!)
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Clear Coat (spray paint)

ask troy. I've had that happen too and wasnt sure why. Maybe you are laying it on too thick.
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

How much time are you allowing between coats? When I did my signals I waited about 10-20 minutes per coat. Granted, I was also spraying it on a little thick. But a good prep job can make a world of a difference. Try wetsanding the paint with a 1000 grit before adding clear coat.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I did wetsand (not sure on grit, but it was the finest I have) before, and no difference. I didn't think I was spraying it that thick, and I'm only doing one coat when it turns grey :(
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Comment

"but it was the finest I have"... sandpaper can get very fine, almost to the point of feeling like a piece of looseleaf paper. you may have sanded with too large of a grit and it just won't be clear again... just my two cents. =/

Comment

Is it gray or is it just a dull color, I did this with mine and I was using some clear that wasnt doing so well with the niteshade.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
              I did wetsand (not sure on grit, but it was the finest I have) before, and no difference. I didn't think I was spraying it that thick, and I'm only doing one coat when it turns grey :(
              Did you try adding any more coats of clear after this first "grey" coat, or did you stop there and sand it down again? Sometimes when you have only a coat or two of clear on the niteshade it looks more dull and has greyish spots in certain areas. That's how mine looked, but it was just thin spots in the clearcoat. I added a few more coats and it cleared up quite nicely.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

what brand paint are you using? clear may not mean crystal clear to some companies....

i only use duplicolor bumper and trim paint if the rattle can sprays on my car

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter2K1 View Post
                  what brand paint are you using? clear may not mean crystal clear to some companies....

i only use duplicolor bumper and trim paint if the rattle can sprays on my car
                  Duplicolor. Not sure on the exact name at this moment though.

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                  Did you try adding any more coats of clear after this first "grey" coat, or did you stop there and sand it down again? Sometimes when you have only a coat or two of clear on the niteshade it looks more dull and has greyish spots in certain areas. That's how mine looked, but it was just thin spots in the clearcoat. I added a few more coats and it cleared up quite nicely.
                  No I didn't; I'll give it a try later today, but they are basically a full-out grey now :(.

Originally posted by IwannaCamarosoBad View Post
                  Is it gray or is it just a dull color, I did this with mine and I was using some clear that wasnt doing so well with the niteshade.
                  Gray, it was a dull black, I might have been fine with it.

Originally posted by Disruptore4 View Post
                  "but it was the finest I have"... sandpaper can get very fine, almost to the point of feeling like a piece of looseleaf paper. you may have sanded with too large of a grit and it just won't be clear again... just my two cents. =/
                  I'm not catching what you're trying to say; I haven't sanded down this coat of clear, just the previous coats I tried to apply.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Comment

The probelm is nothing to do with the paint or sanding. Are you outside painting this? the problem is that it is to humid. when you paint in a humid place it causes the paint to "frost" over. ive had this happen many times. All i do is stand outside a door and spray a light coat, i then immedently move it inside our basement which is air condidtioned and has a de-humidifier. problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by lilchubby View Post
                      The probelm is nothing to do with the paint or sanding. Are you outside painting this? the problem is that it is to humid. when you paint in a humid place it causes the paint to "frost" over. ive had this happen many times. All i do is stand outside a door and spray a light coat, i then immedently move it inside our basement which is air condidtioned and has a de-humidifier. problem solved.
                      That makes sense, esp. with that Hurricane Fay or whatever near him.

Comment

is it humid out while your doing it?
                        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                        1991 3000GT VR4
                        2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Avg humidity of 78%, I think that's my problem, thanks guys. Going to try again tomorrow if I have time.
                          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                          A few things

Comment

problem is hes in florida it always humid here. pics when done?

Comment

i have noticed that clear coat in a spray can usually likes to "eat" things.. i have a set of rims that i painted and then tried to clear them a few days later, and the clear coat actually mixed in with the paint causing it to turn a dull grey color (i painted the rims fake chrome)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X