Roof bubbling...body shop can't get it right...thoughts??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof bubbling...body shop can't get it right...thoughts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roof bubbling...body shop can't get it right...thoughts???

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
    True statement, although not everybody wants the look of sport topping (convertible roof material) on the panel. One other problem, if you keep the car for a long time, there may be rust problems. I can't remember how many vinyl roofs I removed from cars that had rust underneath the vinyl material. Don't get me wrong, this is a quick simple sollution, but quick doesn't mean forever.
    Afterthoughts for the bubble repair - I would have left a heat lamp on the area over night before repainting. This would hopefully complete the chemical reaction (cure) of the materials (heat as a catalyst) and minimize/eliminate any future outgassing. Then I would refinish the area. I know this may seem labor intensive, but it would be the solution for the problem.
    ive wondered about doing something like this as well, but have never heard of any following through on it. ive heard rumors of people who have let their roof go real bad, got them repainted, and the problem was gone (assuming they let them bake so bad that they no longer bubbled) you would think the same thing could be achieved by stripping the paint, baking the roof, and then repainting. that would have to be cheaper than tearing the panel off and reglueing.

regardless, it wasnt the body shops fault in this situation, its a chevy screw up. they wont fix it for you. the roof needs replacing. or you can just deal with the bubbles. theres a long thread on ls1 tech about this i suggest you read.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

My canvas covering is working out fine and I do not expect to keep the car forever.
      I don't fear the rust spots coming through the canvas. The canvas is black
      and I have t-tops so the amount of canvas used is minimal.
      Phil

Comment

ok well ive worked on countless car that use addhesive on the panels to hold them and have no problems with my work. i have people come to me with problems of that sort and when ever i get it i start from scratch. my roof on my car is holding up too, i painted that the begining of last summer. as for the shop i didnt say that they didnt go above and beyond to be honest if i had gotten it back that many times i would have paid somone else to do it cause i would just think it was me. im a honest guy making a honest living. oh and if u dont like my grammar dont read it im just putting my opinion up " on the internet" because someone is asking for it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X