Powder Coating Rims??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating Rims??

Alright, so I just bought an '01 Firebird. It has beautiful glossy black paint, with dark window tint, black interior, and a few red accents. It has the stock 16'' alloy rims on it, with Raptor racing tires. I want black rims, and am trying to research my options.

I've checked a few websites, like tirerack.com, and havent found anything eyecatching thats within my budget. I can only go up to about $200 per rim. Then somebody mentioned powdercoating to me. I checked with a local PC business, and they can gloss black my rims for under $100 apiece. As of now this is what I'm leaning towards doing. Does anybody know more on the subject or have some advice for me?

Thanks.

Re: Powder Coating Rims??

i have spray painted rims that look pretty good, but IMO keep the chrome or get the black ones with a chrome lip

Comment

Re: Powder Coating Rims??

You will have to take the tires off to powder coat which represents additional costs. If they are chrome rims, powder coating is the ONLY way to go. I myself, spray painted factory firebird silver colored aluminum rims (with tires still on) black then clear coated, I then let them sit for a month to cure before I mounted them. They look great and have 0 flaws after being on the car for 45 days (daily driver). I spent about $30 for the duplicolor spray paint, clear coat and 3M scotchbrite pads as well as automotive sandpaper. Took me about 6 hours to prep, sand, clean and paint all 4 wheels (front, back and inside). If I were to have another set of factory rims that needed paint, I would do it the same way again. Good luck...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X