Car Show one month, ruined front end. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Show one month, ruined front end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Show one month, ruined front end.

So if anyone remembers i painted my front end and hood back in january http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...598#post899598

This morning driving my car to work and a cat ran out from the bushes and was no dodging it cause i was doing about 70 on back roads well it hit my front end, the bondo all the way around the license plate cover is cracked clean around paint is chipping off around the front bumper... got a good enjoyment of like 5 months out of that front end. What kills me the most is carlisle is in 20 days and i spent over a grand touching car up fixing imperfections and this happens. If anyone tries that bondo around the license plate i dont recommend it, any pressure against it and its coming loose.

Re: Car Show one month, ruined front end.

Sorry to hear that. Looking at your old thread it looked pretty good with the work you did to it, I'd never seen that before.
    2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

that sucks but why on earth would you try to fill that big of a crack with bondo?!?!?!? theres alot better ways to fill that gap.

Comment

bondo shouldn't be used for anything that can flex
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
          bondo shouldn't be used for anything that can flex
          +1...

Comment

instead of bondo there is a plastic putty/glaze and flex agents you put into primers so everything flexes on plastic. 20 days is plenty of time to redo it
            sorry to hear about the mishap....now get off the computer and get to sandin!

Comment

car looks clean, hopefully you can fix it. Just be happy you didn't hit a deer like I did :(
              Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

What do you recommend for fillin in the gap? Just bought a pneumatic palm sander that adds water while you sand, because i am not sanding that bumper down by hand. Going to work on it tomorrow, i should mention that i am a backyard mechanic and painting is not my hobby so the whole bondo ordeal it was sitting in my garage and it clicked and i tried it. It actually worked great (until a cat with 8 used lives ran across the road), another problem is the only auto paint store near me isnt much of a paint store they are an auto parts store with one brand of paint they mix on the side, it took him an hour to find mixture for friggin gm bright red. /sigh

Anyways if anyone can give me product information on what do use for plate cover insert and that puddy that can be added to paint to make it more flexible i would greatly appreciate, hoping to have it sanded back to primer tomorrow.

Comment

my gf is upset that you hit a cat.

Good luck with the body work. I need to paint a rear bumper myself. What do you use to lay the paint on?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

im not a bodyman by any means, if i was you go to this site and post up there. im very sure you will get a correct process to fill that big of a gap. http://autobody101.com/forums/

Comment

Your girlfriend? Lol mine has cut me off because shes so mad at me, not to mention shes pregnant ontop of it...

When I painted I got the automotive pain gun from lowes bout 100 bucks but works beautifully. Have a lot of sandpaper ready your going to mess up a while back i messed up badly on my trans am bumper and i just threw it off the stand and broke it cause i messed up four times on it and got tired of sanding (anger problems lol). Come to find out i had too much water in the lines and my air line dryer wasnt workin which caused the runs. When i drained the compressor tank more water than air came out lol. It takes a lot of patience but i just watched some videos of others painted online and taught myself from there.

thanks for the link jrherald i will check it out.

Comment

That is too bad about your car but you are very lucky could have been worse. Swerving at 70 miles an hour to miss hitting a cat. I have a rule that is the animal of any kind is not bigger then the front of the vehicle it gets taken out.My sister swerved to miss an animal one time and she lost control and rolled the car. Never ever swerve to miss and animal IMO. But with that said 20 days is lots of time to fix your car again. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 02pewtersix View Post
                          instead of bondo there is a plastic putty/glaze and flex agents you put into primers so everything flexes on plastic. 20 days is plenty of time to redo it
                          sorry to hear about the mishap....now get off the computer and get to sandin!
                          Thats the stuff they use to mold my front ground effects to my car. Works real well, it is like one peice now, it will flex with the whole front end if I pull on it. Great stuff, It is like a polyurathane fiberglass. I should of done the rear too but I had them fill the CAMARO out in back so it is just all black lkie the rest of the car. Sorry to hear about your car see if you can find some of that poly stuff to fix yours. Good luck
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Okay i went to the autobody101 forum and someone suggested using a plastic welding kit, i got one but i need to know what type of plastic our bumper is made from so i can get the correct sticks is it made from abs platic?

Comment

there should be mold markings on the inside of the bumper that says what kind of plastic, what time and date it was molded. maybe a sticker or marker too. i was going to suggest the welding kit also but im glad you got some help over there. did you ask about the type of plastic over there too???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X