anyone with car painting experience help!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone with car painting experience help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone with car painting experience help!!

so my friend is painting my car for me....

he put on 3 coats of red after all the primer was sanded down and it went on PERFECTLY, no runs or anything, cleaning up the primer with a tack rag before applying the red paint.

ok, so stay with me now....

he taped off parts of the red painted car to apply the black paint (we are putting on black stripes etc.) and cleaned the surface again with a tack rag and also cleaned out the spray gun.

after applying a coat of black he noticed fish eyes in the paint. after another coat or two they seemed to have gone away so he left it as is. once that was all dry, the entire car got a few coats of clear coat.

at this point the ENTIRE car just got obliviated with fish eyes. I'm talking EVERYWHERE, even on the red paint which had absolutely NO fish eyes before puttin on the clear coat. Also the black paint had fish eyes as well. BAsically every part of the car was effed.

we dont' know what we did wrong, considering the red paint went on fine and we used the same tack cloth to clean and the same spray gun to apply... it's just not making any sense.

technically i believe fish eyes are from a "dirty" surface but like i said we did the same procedure each time to clean the surface before applying paint.

so can anyone help us identify the problem where we went wrong? And what is the best way to fix this problem? My friend thinks we might have to repaint the entire thing because he doesn't think you can simply wet sand the fish eyes out of there.

anyone with painting experience please help me. We don't mind having to do it over again, it will just have to be time spent....

we dont' want to have to sand the whole car down and then do it again and do it wrong twice in a row.

my bud is calling the paint shop tomorrow to see what they say.

my opinion is that either something got onto the car surface INBETWEEN the painting of the red coat and black coat or that perhaps the red paint we used is not compattible with the black or clear, hence the fish eyes. Another thing... we found some white crud inside the spray gun when we took it apart again, though it may just be some thread sealer... we're not sure.

it's a whole mess and to be honest i really don't know much at all about painting cars so i'd really appreciate any help here, especially if you know how this paint job can/has to be fixed.

Re: anyone with car painting experience help!!

"friends don't let friends paint their cars"

On a serious note, I have one question. Was the clear coat shaken VERY good before you sprayed the car? Also, what type of clear/paint did you use? Lacquer? Urethane? I am pretty sure you can't use urethane clear over lacquer paint, but I think you can use lacquer clear over urethane base. I may be wrong somewhere in there though (body men chime in) Also, did the clear get strained before you applied it? You may have a slight clog in the gun. 1 more suggestion, how long inbetween coats of clear did you wait? Those would be the first things I would check. Let us know, and a picture of the fisheyes would be helpful.
    Last edited by unvmyrs; 06-12-2009, 05:18 AM.
    #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

Originally posted by unvmyrs View Post
      "friends don't let friends paint their cars"

On a serious note, I have one question. Was the clear coat shaken VERY good before you sprayed the car? Also, what type of clear/paint did you use? Lacquer? Urethane? I am pretty sure you can't use urethane clear over lacquer paint, but I think you can use lacquer clear over urethane base. I may be wrong somewhere in there though (body men chime in) Also, did the clear get strained before you applied it? You may have a slight clog in the gun. 1 more suggestion, how long inbetween coats of clear did you wait? Those would be the first things I would check. Let us know, and a picture of the fisheyes would be helpful.
      thanks, i will have to relay these questions to my friend.

the reason i don't think it's the clear coat thats the problem is that the black paint was starting to fish eye as soon as it was put onto the red paint, before any clear at all. A problem with the gun makes sense to me.... maybe it got fudged up after applying the red first time around?

Comment

Anything is possible. Lets get some pictures. Is the fisheye deep?
        #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

should of left well enough alone. probably missed a step or too humid.
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

This happened to me last year when I sprayed a panel for my GTO. I narrowed it down to the tack rag that I used just prior to painting. The film it left behind made the whole paintjob "fish-eye", and I had to completely sand it and start over again.

The tack rag may have had different reactions between the primer and red urethane paint. The second time around, I used the tack rag, but then went over the surface again using Oil & Grease Remover (surface prep). The paint came out perfect! I almost didn't want to wetsand and polish it, but I did anyways.

Here's a good website:
            http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/re...hooting_guide/
            sigpic

Comment

Another note:
              Anytime I'm about to paint or recoat any surface, (primer'd, basecoated, clearcoated, etc.), I use the surface prep just before spraying. You can get it at almost any auto store. Just look in the Body Filler Aisle. I also use a lint-free towel to apply it so there aren't any dust particles that get left behind.
              sigpic

Comment

Yes it is very likely the Tack rag that did it how ever it could be bad solvent or bad hardner it would be hard to figure out with out more info what type of Primer and Base coat what type of Clear is being used and what solvents are being used. With out all this info it is hard how ever I would suspect the Tack rag residue as a likely culprit in this proble. You can all so get an addative that will smooth out the Fish eyes as well it will make the paint flow better but beware it will all so make it run.

Comment

All so is the air filtered does the compressor have a filter if so is it clean and free from oil. Fish eye is a impurity in the paint or air and as said before on the surface. Paint is very sensitive and the smallest thing can really play havoc with it. If the air is not filtered I suggest getting it filtered and all so make sure the filter is a dry type filter and not a oil type filter all so make sure there is a water release valve on the air line and bleed it out before you begin to spray.

Comment

thanks guys...

my bud works at a pizza place and the clothes he was wearing were his work clothes... (can you say super greasy??) we think that was the cause of the fish eyes but we can't be 100% sure. i know he was rubbin up against the car while we were taping off the stripes. i will make sure we get that fish eye reducer and use a different method of cleaning/prepping the surface.

as of right now we are gonna wet sand off pretty much all of the clear coat, then hit it again with some new stuff.

stay tuned....

Comment

Not to be a pain but make sure the compressor is pushing clean air as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Firebird34 View Post
                        Not to be a pain but make sure the compressor is pushing clean air as well.
                        will do, thanks. :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X