door hanging low.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door hanging low.

my doors on my 1996 Firebird seem to hang low. and when i close them, they kinda hit the body of the car. Also, the driver door squeaks a lot! I wanted to know if/how i can fix them..new hinges?

Re: door hanging low.

i'd say simply check any loose bolts or anything around the hinges to start. obviously something isnt tight.

and the squeaks can be easily fixed with a little grease, lubricant, or just spray some wd-40 right in the hinge on the roller and swing the door a few times until it sets in and you stop hearing it...just wear 'n tear.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

You can lift up on the door...and have a buddy try to tighten the hinges. I did that with a ladder and some ratchet straps. Worked pretty good....still get a little squeak not as bad though.

Comment

ill try tomorrow..thanks!

Comment

its a pretty common problem i hear, cause the doors are so long and heavy they sag after while

Comment

tighten i think its 2 or 3 big hinges near the door jam toward the front of the door, good luck! had the same issue with my buddy's mustang
            Robby
            2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
              i'd say simply check any loose bolts or anything around the hinges to start. obviously something isnt tight.

and the squeaks can be easily fixed with a little grease, lubricant, or just spray some wd-40 right in the hinge on the roller and swing the door a few times until it sets in and you stop hearing it...just wear 'n tear.

lol ive added "spraying WD40 on hinges" to my regular maintenance schedule
              1999 v6 Camaro M5
              Automatic to Manual converted
              Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
              !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

haha good! been doing it for years on mine. works great on squeaky doors in your house too lol.
                pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

is it recommended to remove the door completely?

Also, I have recent paint about 2-3 months old, will WD40 cause any damage at all?
                  1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                  1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                  1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                  2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

welcome to the world of the 1200 lb door
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                      is it recommended to remove the door completely?

Also, I have recent paint about 2-3 months old, will WD40 cause any damage at all?
                      dont think that's very necessary. and your paint should be fine, just use what little is needed and wipe away any extra.

sigpic

Comment

The extra weight of the paint is what caused the dors to sag.

As Kristen said, the big doors on our cars are HEAVY!!!
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

I used PAM once when I was out of WD-40... now I keep one of those little mini bottles of WD-40 in my console...
                          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

so i tried to tighten the bolts. They were pretty tight, so i couldnt really do much, BUT the bushing on my driver side door looks like its bend...

(Its very dirty in there i know :cry:)

Is there a way i can change it out? And does anyone have a part number?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOOR-...Q5fAccessories
                              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X