Centerline Race Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerline Race Rims

I'm an idiot...I bought a pair for the back of the car ...tried them on at the guys house...was in so much of a hurry and in excitment, thought they fit...Well I dry fit them on the car again Saturday...looks like the center hole that fits around the axle hub on the car...is too big...Looks like it is about maybe 1/4 of an inch too big.

Furthermore, it doesn't look like I have enough stud back there...Doesn't look like I can get too many threads on...

1st question...Is it ok if the rim doesn't sit on that axle hub thing?

2nd question...is there anyway to extend my studs, and still make the cap for my chrome 5 star stock rims still fit nicely?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Centerline Race Rims

Well the hub doesn't center the rim, the studs do, so it shouldn't necessarily be that big of a deal, but you might be better off shimming it somehow. As for the studs, you should be able to buy studs that are longer than the stock ones, and get you the extra thread to fit the centerlines. If the caps on the 5-stars don't fit, you can always get some thin spacers, like 1/4 or 1/2 depending on your needs.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

yea, just take a lug nut into a parts store and they can match the diameter and pitch of the threads to a longer stud than stock... as far as the stock center cap fitting, I have no idea
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

have any Ideas how I can shim it?...otherwise I was thinking of maybe using them for the front? it looks like I have alot more stud length up front...only thing is, is these are a 9 inch rim...putting skinnies on a 9inch rim looks pretty goofy I would think..

Comment

You don't need to shim the hub,as said earlier the studs center the wheel.

You have to run an open type lug if you are running slicks,as most tech inspections check for thread engagement.

How many complete turns of the lugs are you getting?

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
            You don't need to shim the hub,as said earlier the studs center the wheel.

You have to run an open type lug if you are running slicks,as most tech inspections check for thread engagement.

How many complete turns of the lugs are you getting?
            maybe two...I was just thinking that if the center of the rim isn't touching the axle part...then the studs are the only thing holding it up...which means there would be added stress on the studs, which could possibly cause them to break? That was my thinking anyways?

Are stock lugs are ok for that right?

Comment

You get your holding power from the friction that is created between the wheel and the hub. Some wheels use a lugnut that has a shank on them that slides an inch or more into the hole of the wheel. I am wondering if you may just need diff lugnuts. If you can find that wheel on jegs it will tell you whether it takes an acorn or a mag shank style.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure if I am explaining myself right so here is a pic (not of the rims I have) but see the part I circled? That part on the rim is about 1/4-1/2 inch bigger then the axle piece that that part would normally rest on...so all stress will be put on the studs themselves...
                Attached Files

Comment

I totally understood I have always been told that that IS supposed to rest on the axle and the studs should not take any of the weight.

Comment

The hub center is not that big of a deal... those wheels usually came with a center cap that closes up the gap anyway... you will need different lugnuts that are a shank style ...the factory lugs will not work!

Comment

Originally posted by 1LOMARO View Post
                      The hub center is not that big of a deal... those wheels usually came with a center cap that closes up the gap anyway... you will need different lugnuts that are a shank style ...the factory lugs will not work!
                      its not those rims pictured though...its a different style...I don't have any center caps either...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X