Removing paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing paint

Hello everybody, I just added another Camaro too the collection but have a question. The previous owner had painted all the air vents and the pieces around the power locks/windows white, and they just have to go. It looks like it's just regular old spraypaint. What would be the best way to go about removing the paint so there back to normal. I don't want to just spray them black, I want the white paint completly gone. I though of paint thinner and etc. but wasn't sure how that would effect the plastic. Any ideas?

Re: Removing paint

nail polish remover works wonders

Comment

Well, to be quite honest, you might want to just hit up a junk yard and get the pieces. Chances are the previous owner scuffed the plastic with sandpaper so it'll look like @ss when the paint is removed. I'd hate for you to waste your time removing paint to find the plastic is screwed up anyway.
      #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

Yea, acetone or other paint thinners could melt the plastic and unvmyrs is right, if the previous owner did it right, he probly scuffed the plastic...

could try some purple power... soak them in 5:1, water : purple power... if you'd rather try something before buying new ones...
        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I've used this on a set of painted mudflaps before: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2061_542927473 Took about 5 minutes, and the old paint and clearcoat wrinkled and wiped off.

Worked great, but be careful with that stuff...It's E-V-I-L nasty!!! It ate though my gloves that I thought were chemical resistant. A clump of it also got on my leg and I did the "Forbidden Dance" trying to get it off!
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've heard that stuff is serious at removing paint but probably too strong for the plastic. I may try the nail polish remover first just real quick and then rinse off so hopefully it doesn't hurt the plastic

Comment

most nail polish is just diluted acetone, so it's probly too diluted to damage the plastic, but might also be too diluted to get rid of the paint... depends on the quality of the paint that was used, I guess but shouldn't hurt to try
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Clean them up good and just repaint them with interior paint.
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I'm sure it's just Krylon. I'll try it on the back side of one too see how it turns out. I'm just taking the best parts of both cars and putting them into one and selling or parting out the other one anyway, so if they don't come out the way I want them, no biggy because the other set is perfect. If it doesnt' then I'll do what StrtRacer suggested.

Comment

i would only paint them black or buy new. check out ebay...all of those pieces are like 10 bucks each
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X