want my gauges to light up more white... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

want my gauges to light up more white...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want my gauges to light up more white...

i want my speedo and tach to be more white than yellow so if i just swap out the 194s that light it up with some white led 194s will that take care of it? or do i need to split it all apart and sand down behind the gauges?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Re: want my gauges to light up more white...

If you did white LEDs, it would certainly whiten everything up. How much though, I couldn't tell you. Do you not like the after market gauge overlays that are available?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i don't want to lose the oem look when they are not lit up
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

LED's will definitely help you out. I replaced the 194's with blue LED's and even that is brighter than the regular bulbs. So a set of white LED's will surely brighten your gauge cluster up.

Comment

Remember LED's can't be dimmed, so if they are too bright you have to live with it.
          sigpic

Comment

How come they can't be dimmed?
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by masonvonritchie View Post
              LED's will definitely help you out. I replaced the 194's with blue LED's and even that is brighter than the regular bulbs. So a set of white LED's will surely brighten your gauge cluster up.
              how do you like the blue ones?
              you got any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                Remember LED's can't be dimmed, so if they are too bright you have to live with it.
                They can be dimmed, but the contrast between full and the lowest setting will not be as drastic as the stock ones. i.e. when the rest of the bulbs are hardly visibly on, the LEDs will be much more noticeable, but still quite dimmed.

Rob: The lack of contrast is because of the fairly drastic difference in power required to light up an LED in comparison to an incandescent bulb. An incandescent bulb might take 5w to power to it's peak performance level, whereas a comparable LED might require somewhere in the neighborhood of .15w. Since the dimmers on our cars are made for dimming incandescents, they are not set up properly for dimming LEDs.
                Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 08-19-2009, 11:58 PM.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  Good point. If it comes to that though, at least it's fairly easy to change out those bulbs.

Originally posted by savagecamaro96 View Post
                  how do you like the blue ones?
                  you got any pics?
                  I love the blue ones. I don't have any pics but I've been wanting to take some, so maybe I'll get out there and do it. The only thing about having the blue LED's is that the red parts of the gauge cluster aren't so visible when the lights are on, but that really doesn't bother me.

Comment

My white face gauge over lay has the red parts light up with the stock dimmer switch and also dims the blue too. the white looks great during the day and outstanding at night. I can't remember how long it took me or when I did the install but I know it was a pain. My gas mile countdown never worked after I did the white face gauges. Damm it.LOL
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

When I installed my LED's it was a huge pain. Some of them I could get to without taking out the entire gauge cluster but some of them I couldn't, and trying to get that thing out of the dash is tons of fun.

Comment

i got LEDS in my mr2.l looks great. i could dim them no problem. im planning to do the same to both camaros

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm

you should aviod leds that all face the same direction because they will cause hot spots

Comment

As far as whether they dim or not, I guess it just depends where you get them from. I got a set of blue LED's from superbrightleds.com for the HVAC that would dim, but I had to take them out because for some reason after I put them in, my turn signal bulbs kept burning out. But I got a set for the gauge cluster from ledvault.com and they don't dim.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X