planning on converting headlights to projectors... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning on converting headlights to projectors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning on converting headlights to projectors...

As the title says. I am planning to convert my stock headlights to dual projectors. Real projectors, not the halo projector things, I don't even think those are real projectors. Anyways, I want both hi's and low's to be converted to projectors. And I currently have HIDs in the lows, and will convert the highs to HID as well. My question is... I have seen a few videos of "how to" etc. I was wondering what would be good projectors to use for each the low and high beams? I was thinking that the projectors out of the cadillac CTS would be good, doesn't that have dual projectors? If not, what projectors would be good to retrofit into my headlight housings? and has anyone done this? I know I could do it. Just looking for projects for when I get home. I really want to do this so any info would be helpful. Oh, I have a 2000 SS.
    #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Re: planning on converting headlights to projectors...

OK, well apparently no one knows anything about this, 30 views and no replies. I contacted HID ILLUSIONZ, a company who converts headlight housings and does all the retrofitting. They gave me a price of $1495 to convert my stock headlights to true projectors, hi's and lo's. It would be a quad setup. That price includes s2000 projectors for lo's and I already have lo beam HIDs, but they are also including 9006 to D2S converter cables, FX35 projectors for Hi's, OEM PHILLIPS hi beam ballast and D2S bulbs, wiring harness, projector shrouds, and labor. Thats for the Quad kit. Just to do the lo beams would cost $645. I want to see if anyone else is interested in this because they may do a group discount. This is the REAL deal, real projectors and true HID. they do amazing work from what I can tell, they can even add halos, or LED strips like the infinitis have. they can pretty much do anything and offer a lifetime warranty. Let me know if anyone is interested. Its very expensive but seems well worth it.
    #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

that is the most retarded thing i have ever heard.. no offense but go buy something else how are a set of headlights worth 1495
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4
      2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

4gasm, I know its expensive which is why I am trying to get a group buy to cut the prices down. It is a really cool conversion though and I don't know if you know, but a good HID set is very expensive; which is why the average joe vehicle doesn't come equipped with HID's and projectors. I at first considered the halo projectors but I don't even think it has a real projector on it, and I heard they don't light the road up very well. Someone clarify though. I'm simply trying to see if maybe 10 people were interested, then maybe they'd do them for like 400 bucks each. I'm negotiating now though. critique is okay, I am just trying to do somthing that has never been done to a 4th gen fbody before and it is expensive.

Comment

People have done this. You're not the first.

Honda S2000 and Acura TL projectors are generally regarded as some of the best projectors on the market as of now. The idea of converting your stock headlights to projectors is a good one. Retaining the stock look for the most part, but getting real deal projectors. The projectors offered in the halos are "real" but they are cheaply designed and cheaply made, and therefore aren't going to compare to better ones like the s2000 and tl.

However, you'll notice that cars don't have dual projectors (I at least have not seen them) and even if they do exist, it's a waste of money. The high beam wouldn't have the cutoff, which is really the only reason to have a projector housing. If the high beam had a cutoff, it would be useless as a high beam.

You'll also notice that no cars have HID for their high beams. This is because the most wear and tear on HID bulbs is turning them on and off. If the bulbs don't get a chance to warm up to operating temperature before they are turned off again, that's even more wear and tear (think flashing your brights, or using them, and periodically turning them on and off when another car comes down the road). HID projectors are great things, but they are not meant for high beams. The high beams, quite honestly would be a huge waste of money. If getting HID projectors in your stock housings for $645 is worth it to you, then I'd probably go for it. However, to do both is simply a waste. For around 3-400 bucks, I have very good projectors with HID in my car, but they don't look stock, and aren't retrofitted, so I would have to say $645 doesn't really sound all that bad.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by unvmyrs View Post
            I at first considered the halo projectors but I don't even think it has a real projector on it, and I heard they don't light the road up very well. Someone clarify though.
            i'd still keep the halos in consideration man, i know you've heard my frustration behind them but now that they're working right i couldn't be happier with them. and as far as brightness, dude mine are bright lemme tell ya. with my 8000k's in lows and fogs i could seriously turn my headlights off and see better than other cars with just my fog lights alone ---i actually had to angle them down some bc they're so bright. since you like my halos i'd definitely suggest trying it out, you won't be disappointed bro. my friends always tell me they like if i drive behind them at night bc my headlights actually light up the road from behind them better than their halogens do from the front haha.

and schlotzky is right about not doing the hi beams---that's exactly what i tell ppl when they ask me why i didn't convert them too --- hid's aren't meant to be flickered and used in bursts.
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Well, IIRC, the only car that I have seen from the factory with dual projectors is a Cadillac, but I don't know which model, maybe it was the CTS, or CTS-V...Anyways, I just got word from the company that if I can get 10 people to commit to it, then they will drop the prices quite a bit. As for just doing the lowbeams, I too am leaning towards this, because you guys are correct, the highs would be kind of a waste. So if anyone is really interested, let me know. Here's their website. http://hidillusionz.com/html/ Check it out. I think if we could get 10 people to commit they'd do them for like 500 each, including labor, parts, etc. C'mon you guys chime in and let me know. As Schlotzky said, this could be a really cool mod.

Comment

shlotzky.... what was that ever so familiar car with at LEAST halogen projectors for Hi beams.... oh yeah... a C6. seriously, nobody here is interested??? group buy FTW.

Comment

That's done that way solely for looks. A projector without a cutoff is no better, in fact I'd dare to say worse than a free form.

I don't think you're going to find 9 people on this board with 500 bucks laying around to spend on headlights. You might have some luck on ftv6.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I have my 6000K HID's in my HI and low beams and they both come on without modifying anything with the wiring except installing the 2 HID kits. I think mine turned out well , no one flashes me, even with both on.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the idea is good, but if you cant do it yourself, there is no reason to pay that much for headlights, a good set of hids and you can have around the same effect, 6k-8k have good output and have a nice look to them for a fraction of the cost

Comment

I disagree. You absolutely cannot compare free form halogen housings with HIDs to true HID projectors. The look, the feel, the functionality and the safety just don't compare. You will never get a cutoff like a projector with a free form, and will always be the annoying car in the oncoming lane with the annoyingly bright headlights, whether you get flashed or not.
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X