Transmission removal help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission removal help!!

Hey everyone! I've been trying to remove my transmission for two days now! I need to replace the clutch. Only thing I've got left holding the transmission in, are the top two 18mm bolts. I have tried everything I know, and nothing is working. Any tips on how to get these broken loose? I have used an 18" extension and an impact, and it will not break loose. Any ideas?
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

You could try PB Blaster, or something similar and just spray them real good and let it sit overnight. I would think an impact would take them out so probably stuck pretty well if that’s not working. Are you using a 1/2” on your 18” extension on your impact?
    Last edited by ssms5411; 2 days ago.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks! That got it broke loose! I had to put a cheater bar on a ratchet. When it broke loose, I smashed my arm into the floor jack! Oh well, if your not bleeding, you ain't doing it right! Anyway, I was using a 3/8" extension with my impact. I hope I didn't damage the input shaft getting the transmission out. Is there anyway to check? Or, should I just replace it? I'm going to replace the slave cylinder. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? I've attached some pics of the transmission.
      Attached Files
      2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Nice, yeah just looked at the input shaft if it doesn’t look bad I wouldn’t worry about it. For replacing stuff, how old are the parts. Like TOB . Which clutch did you go with?I see you have a B&M Ripper, when I was a M5 that’s what I had, one of the best mods for a M5.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 2 days ago.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

All the parts are the original ones except for the ripper. I haven't decided on which clutch kit yet. I definitely have to replace the slave cylinder, and I believe the throw-out bearing was making noise. The car has got around 130,000 miles on it. I just need something similar to oem and not too expensive.
          2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Wow, not bad getting that many miles out of it. lol , I used Spec clutches when I was M5 but don’t know if there still around. I’d see what the Auto stores are selling for replacement. I know Robert, FirebirdGT has a M5 so maybe he can chime in and see what he recommends.

Comment

Looking at clutches Duralast is about $100 and Ram clutches are little over $400 so will be up to you money wise on what you want to spend.

Comment

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit is $430 - I have the Centerforce I Kit - but you can't get the disc anymore.

https://www.centerforce.com/search.h...+%28231+cid%29
                Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Looking at rock auto, I may go with either Luk or Sachs. I wish the centerforce kit was cheaper. I need to get the slave cylinder and release bearing as well.
                  2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Transmission removal help!!
                    by Andy H
                    Hey everyone! I've been trying to remove my transmission for two days now! I need to replace the clutch. Only thing I've got left holding the transmission...
                    3 days ago
                  • 2.8 Bird
                    Abs inop
                    by 2.8 Bird
                    Hello, so I changed the front bearings on the bird and the ABS inoperative light came on. I made a mistake of not removing negative battery cable. Now...
                    6 days ago
                  • fishin
                    Intermittent Headlight Function 97 Firebird
                    by fishin
                    I usually have to double, triple my headlight switch for them to come up on my 97 Firebird. I cleaned all connections. Could it be the headlight switch...
                    1 week ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X