Fourth Gear missing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fourth Gear missing?!

Hello, recently i moved back to college and i decided to take my car a 98 Firebird automatic. About half way through the trip the RPM which is normally around 2000 shot up to past 3000 as if i was flooring it, then when i let off the gas it would go down as if i was in Neutral and the oil pressure gauge went down too as if i was idle, then when i gave it gas it'd go back up oil pressure went to normal and so we pulled over and after looking at the engine we decided to keep going and it seemed to be normal again.Then i noticed that it would not shift into 4th gear upon reaching 45mph its as if it was gone then it waited until i was around 65 as if the computer had changed the shift points. It seems to be normal now when it shifts, but i noticed today it feels like instead of getting instant power when i give it gas i have to depress it more and the RPM must be higher before i get anything. Does anyone know what could be wrong or what was wrong? Maybe the shifter actually got knocked around while i was driving by my arm and is stuck on 3rd? Any advice anyone? Anything would be appreciated.

Re: Fourth Gear missing?!

sounds like your tranny is just dying, check it for trans fluid and if need be put more in it. i would think bad torque converter but i dont know why you would be able to get all the way to third with no problem.

i dunno, ill let some more knowledgable people answer your question.

Comment

what you have is your tanny is slipping
      do you have a obd2 code scanner you probly have a 1870 code witch means your trans is slipping take it to a tranny shop asap have them put a shift kit in it and have them do a flush.

Comment

I plan on taking it to a nearby Aamco Tranny shop today or tomorrow. Ill let ya know what they said (hopfully nothing more than low fluid levels). Thanks for the input though!

Comment

lol if you have no 4th that means a total rebuild

Comment

Well its there now, if it was still gone since i last drove it i definatly would have had it in the shop a lot sooner. But anywho i took it in today he didnt remove the pan today and its going to be next friday before i bring it back. But he said it was dark brown (not good obviously) and he said it didnt smell very burnt but essentially its going back in a week and possibly going to be flushed, lets hope its nothing more than old tranny fluid and thats all. It seems to be operating fine even on the highway. Any more input is appreciated.

Comment

How many miles has it been since you've had the transmission fluid changed?
              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

if its that nasty i would just change the fluid. flushing out really old tranny fluid is really bad cuz all that sludge plugs up tiny gaps in gearing and stuff. you flush it and then its metal to metal contact which = dead tranny
                2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

So i shouldnt have it flushed your saying? Its only a 98... ill probably just have the tranny replaced eventually with a "high performance" but for now just replacing the fluid should be fine? Id do it myself but i dont have any way to lift the car at school. Oh and i havent had it changed ever while i have owned it, i got it back in may when it had 99,800 miles on it now it has 103,400

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X