Diffrential question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffrential question

On my 1999 Firebird 3.8l when I go around a turn, especially down a left hand hill turn, I hear a noise in the rear end. It's not a grinding sound but more like a tunk, tunk, tunk. But not all that loud. I don't hear it anywhere else, and I'm useually not accelerating. any ideas? I don't think its the bearings, but not sure...

Re: Diffrential question

This goes in the drivetrain/suspension section? IDK

I would like to get a sound clip of that cause it sounds like something I've heard before? On mine, I can hear the rear driver's side spring uncompressing and slipping or something...
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I'll look under that section also, thanks...I wish I had a way to give you a sound clip, but have nothing to do it with...Did you do anything with yours yet?

Comment

does your rear have an open or limited-slip differential? if it's the latter, it could be on it's way out

Comment

Originally posted by OZZYSHOUSE
          On my 1999 Firebird 3.8l when I go around a turn, especially down a left hand hill turn, I hear a noise in the rear end. It's not a grinding sound but more like a tunk, tunk, tunk. But not all that loud. I don't hear it anywhere else, and I'm useually not accelerating. any ideas? I don't think its the bearings, but not sure...
          your 1999 firebird probably has a torsen which is going to make a little noise due to it having worm gears. if you're slowing down or turning and the sound isnt too loud, it may be normal.

Comment

Im not a differential expert but my 98 y87 firebird makes the same noise and it also leaks oil from the pinion seal. I was told by a shop that the pinion bearing is wore out and and has some play back there which is causing the seal to vibrate and leak. I asked them if the noise I heard had anything to do with it and they said that it is probably the wore out pinion bearing. I'm having the car looked at by another shop tomorrow and they are gonna see how bad the damage is. If that bearing put any wear on the other bearings and gears then I'm basically gonna need all new guts to go in my differential which is gonna cost a pretty penny. If I were you, I would take your car to a shop and let them take a look at it.

Comment

I had a noise that happened on drivers side turns only too, likewise at the end of the turn, it would make the noise repeatedly a couple of times.

I fixed it by replacing the drivers side wheel bearing seal

hard to tell what kind of noise it is w/o a sound clip tho
              1999 Camaro Z/28
              1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I've got a grinding noise when slowing down, usually only around 15 mph... I thought it was an exhaust rattle and it was. I replaced the whole exhaust with a flowmaster 80 series catback:banana:. No more rattle, until I slowed down I could hear a new grinding that was masked by the old rattle! :(

Anyone know what it could be? only makes the noise when slowing down usually when I'm approaching a stop light or turning into a driveway.
                In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Exhaust rubbing or maybe heat sheild above the CAT. Or the CAt itself rattlring since they are just rack welded together.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'm hoping its something as simple as a heat shield.

I'm praying it isn't a tranny or rear-end !

The car only has 55,000 miles on it so I can't imagine it's something that big
                    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

kind of sounds like bad LCA bushings actually. Is it almost like a rubber ball in a tin can? thats usually the sound of bad lower control arm bushings.

Comment

Might need to grease the rear sway bar bushings also with the LCA's.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X