Old alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old alternator

I've been trying to ignore the tensor pulley assembly and the alternator for a while now since I wasn't driving much. However, I began to really feel it when the car would attempt to accelerate, kind of hesitated... a lot. Today I went out and bought a brand new alternator. I also bought a new tensor pulley, but I'm unable to get the old on off.. oh well.

Here are some pictures of what the old alternator looks like. I'll have pictures of what it looks like from the bay area tomorrow.

^ Old alternator v. the new one (looks just like the one on the box, but probably has more of a shine to it)

^ looks fried to me.

^ try spinning the pulley. it sounds like something died.

Bought it from Pep Boys for 129.99 (new) + tax + 55$ core fee. Going to return the old one tomorrow and get my 55$ back. Might as well return the pulley as well unless someone knows how to get the old one off. I attempted to ordered a new assembly from Rockauto, but they called me today and said I wouldn't be able to get the part until the end of January. Meh.

Re: Old alternator

I have a '99 and I've put two new alternators in my car. Good thing they're easy to change. My friend has an '87 MR2, and it took four guys more than 4 hours to change the alternator. That wasn't fun, lol...

Comment

they just get dirty over time anyway.
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
        they just get dirty over time anyway.
        mmm, I know. The dirt came off. There was metal scraps falling out of the alternator. I can't exactly get a good shot out of a camera phone. :o

Comment

y is this in apperance?

87 Firebird RIP
          96 Camaro RS RIP
          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

I dunno, I was bored. Never got around to taking pictures of the engine bay because it snowed.

Comment

Originally posted by IICODECll
              Might as well return the pulley as well unless someone knows how to get the old one off.
              Just put a screw driver in one of the holes of the alt to keep it from spinning and put an adjustable wrench on the nut.

Rob
              \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Originally posted by rt1
                Just put a screw driver in one of the holes of the alt to keep it from spinning and put an adjustable wrench on the nut.
                That'll work to get the tension pulley off the assembly?

Comment

That'll work to get the tension pulley off the assembly?
                  Sorry, I'm dumb. I thought you were talking about the one on the alt. I'll smack myself... :slap:

Rob
                  \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Might as well return the pulley as well unless someone knows how to get the old one off.
                    Do you know that the bolt has a LEFT hand thread? With Loctite?
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                      Do you know that the bolt has a LEFT hand thread? With Loctite?
                      Yes, I did. Can't seem to get it to budge though. =(

Comment

Use a high quality 1/2 inch drive socket (not something made in China) and a big fricken 1/2 inch drive Johnson bar (or flex handle). Big time reef on that sucker and she'll break free. Don't be nice about it.
                        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X