Fog Light, Turn Signal, Daytime Running Light, & Alarm Troubles - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fog Light, Turn Signal, Daytime Running Light, & Alarm Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Light, Turn Signal, Daytime Running Light, & Alarm Troubles

Dearest Board Members,

I have a host of issues, all electrical, perhaps mostly all related, and was hoping for some guidance. Here goes...

1. Daytime Running Lights - I thought the daytime running lights came on without the foglights having to be turned on (i.e. the daytime running lights should be on all the time, regardless of other light settings), but they don't... I think that is a recent change. They only turn on when the fog lights are turned on. (Mutual attraction, perhaps?)

2. Turn Signal - When I use the left turn signal, all is well. When I use the right turn signal, the control lever in the car moves as normal, but the turn signal 'freezes' such that the lights stay on, but do not blink. In fact, the orange daytime running light in the front does not turn on when I activate the right turn signal, only the rear break light does (Both daytime bulbs are good, and I can get them to both turn on when I turn the fog lights on).This was a slow onset problem, happening once in a while a month ago, but seems to be staying this way now. (Oh, and don't worry, I've already filled up the front and back blinker fluid chambers. Even after adding 'BlinkerBoost', there was no change.)

3. Driver Side Fog Light - The driver side fog light is burned out... 3rd time in four months....

4. Rear Defrost - Last winter, while driving in -20*F temperatures, I was repeatedly pressing and using the rear defrost. All was well in my happy, warm world... then I pushed the rear defrost again, and nothing happened. No light, no melting on the back window. Pontiac said the button was bad, and would need to be replaced, but it felt fine pushing it and still does.. just no light and no melt.. $250 they say.... firebirdV6.com says I.

5. Aftermarket Alarm - About 5 year ago I had a Viper 550 (i think) alarm/remote start combo added to my car. A few months ago, it started going off at random times, and since that fateful night, when the alarm goes off, you can just barely hear the sirens and noises if you put your ear close to the car. I know nothing about car electronics... should I just take it to a car stereo place

Well.... That is all of it... Thanks for any possible help!

-Justin

P.S. This thread was over in electrical, but no one said anything for a week, so I deleted it there and posted it here.

Re: Fog Light, Turn Signal, Daytime Running Light, & Alarm Troubles

1 and 2- Replace both bulbs, it's possible for a bulb to be "Partially" burned out, and it does exactly what you describe. Happened to me a couple months ago.

1,2, and 3- Check the lenses for cracks. If moisture is getting in there it does what you're describing.

Also get your alternator and battery checked, I suppose it's possible that if the alternator is overcharging it could send sufficient electricity to blow the bulbs.

4- Check to make sure that the connections in the corners of the rear window are good, they're pretty fragile, I just had to get mine resoldered.

5- Take it in to get checked.

Comment

Update:

The blinkers are working just fine now that I have replaced the bulbs. And I have replaced the fog light bulbs just to make sure it wasn't just a bad bulb or two. So far so good. After taking my car in for the rear defrost, the pontiac dealership said it would cost 213 for the part plus labor. They said that I might be able to find just the button elsewhere to save some money. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions?

-Justin

Comment

#4 - check the connection on the button and on the rear window. If those are fine, try getting a new button off someone parting their car out (couple in the for sale thread) and install it yourself. Dealerships are a rip off. No way replacing a button should cost 250+ labor...you should be able to do it for like $10-20.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X