will adding turbo affect reliability? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will adding turbo affect reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will adding turbo affect reliability?

I have the 3800 series 3.8L v6 and I wanna add a twin turbo but I heard it sacrifices the reliability of the car, I wouldn't wanna shorten the lifespan of my camaro, is this true?
    only thing certain is death,<br />when I squeeze ten, i\'ma watch all of em jerk in ya chest<br />they wanna talk about peace<br />i\'ma piss in the dirt, <br />spit in the flowers, <br />**** if he rests

Re: will adding turbo affect reliability?

yes it is true for the most part. Also good luck with the TT, only one person talked about doing it and disappeared so I dunno if they ever finished it.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

it was me, and yea single turbo it is!

dont waste you time with a TT setup, your head gasket or pisotns are bound to fail, why help that process along with TT.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        it was me, and yea single turbo it is!

dont waste you time with a TT setup, your head gasket or pisotns are bound to fail, why help that process along with TT.
        I don't know that having TTs is gonna make you more likely to blow your engine than having a single turbo...but I DO know that the guy who started this topic better not try modifying his car because it doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing.
        1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 98 3.8
          I don't know that having TTs is gonna make you more likely to blow your engine than having a single turbo...but I DO know that the guy who started this topic better not try modifying his car because it doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing.
          well I am assuming he is planning a car with at best cold air and exhaust, TT on that would be much more likely to **** something up than with a single turbo.

And secondly yea, not a clue really. People this si is buying a turbo and fabbing up some pipes.....OOOOHHHHH NO. Heres a list of what you will need to make this turbo come true, and this is just for you strip down basic turbo install good for only 7 psi or so.

First off a turbo, and no ebay turbo a REAL turbo.
          Wastegate ( if it isnt internally wastegated
          boost controller
          boost gauge
          colder plugs
          piping
          Inter cooler
          V-band clamps
          Blow off Valve
          PCV modification
          oil feed and return lines
          T-fittings
          turbo flanges
          new fuel injectors or FMU
          New fuel pump

and with that you will have your basic turbo set up.

Comment

He said FMU
            Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

yea you're right I work so i'll pay someone to do it for me, and it sounds like a lot of work, maybe its easier to just upgrade, I really want a ws6 trans am
              only thing certain is death,<br />when I squeeze ten, i\'ma watch all of em jerk in ya chest<br />they wanna talk about peace<br />i\'ma piss in the dirt, <br />spit in the flowers, <br />**** if he rests

Comment

evertyhing you need will cost you at least $3000 (used), so base your decision on that.

Comment

Of course it will affect reliability.... that's a no brainer

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
                  Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
                  http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

Your reliability will be determined by the amount of time the engine is operated at boost and the amount of boost that you have dialed in.

For example: 6 psi used sparingly = nominal reduction in reliability
                    15 psi constant use (lots of high speed oval racing or always racing light to light) = major reduction in reliability

This doesn't only apply to forced induction applications. This example works for any mods applied to an engine to gain HP.
                    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
                      Your reliability will be determined by the amount of time the engine is operated at boost and the amount of boost that you have dialed in.

For example: 6 psi used sparingly = nominal reduction in reliability
                      15 psi constant use (lots of high speed oval racing or always racing light to light) = major reduction in reliability

This doesn't only apply to forced induction applications. This example works for any mods applied to an engine to gain HP.

ehhh, some mods are directly to improve reliability tho, IE CAI, Exhaust, Plugs, wires, coils, stuff like that will benifit your motor.

others like cam and stuff will effect it.

Comment

Well, some mods that install higher quality things like plugs, wires, coils, etc.. that don't typically increase HP can increase reliability.

But mods that increase HP have an absolute impact on reliability and engine longevity.

HP is stress

Any additional stresses imparted on the engine will result in more wear.

Small HP additions = small increase in stress = small increases in wear rates. Large HP additions = large increase in stess = larger increase in wear rates.

This is depending if you use the HP that you gained. For example you can install a forced induction system and not have it affect your reliability or ultimate engine life by not running the engine hard enough to use it. Then you can argue that your engine with the system installed is just as reliable and long lived as the stock engine.

I remember reading in a GM performance guide for the 2.8 l 60 degree V6 that the proven life or duration of the engine in stock form was like 100,000 miles at constant full throttle, and the Can-am modified engine at 600 hp was 2 hours! I think this illustrates the reliability concept perfectly.
                        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

UDLOSE98, I would definately say that adding a CAI will reduce reliability a very small amount(by itself). But I agree with everything else you said!

CDNFB, I would say a turbo would reduce reliability no matter what. Even at small boost levels. The air pushed into your engine is gonna be hot right? which will slowly damage gaskets right?
                          correct me if I'm wrong!

These clevite 77 bearings I have are guaranteed for 300k
                          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                            UDLOSE98, I would definately say that adding a CAI will reduce reliability a very small amount(by itself). But I agree with everything else you said!

CDNFB, I would say a turbo would reduce reliability no matter what. Even at small boost levels. The air pushed into your engine is gonna be hot right? which will slowly damage gaskets right?
                            correct me if I'm wrong!

These clevite 77 bearings I have are guaranteed for 300k
                            I would be willing to be that any bearing would last 300K if it also got oil and wasn't operated under extreme conditions.
                            If any bearing fails, its usually an oiling problem, not the bearing just spontaneously crapping out.
                            1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                            1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

The air pushed into your engine is gonna be hot right? which will slowly damage gaskets right?
                              Depends on your setup. Intercooler and meth inject can offset hot boosted air. (I guess NOX would too!!)

And that brings up the point of proper embodiment of mods to mitigate or minimize reliablily issues. I can argue that a 3800 properly built for reasonable boost applications can last just as long as the stock engine. But ultimately the practice of applying engine build strategies to manage and contain HP gets overrun in the pursuit of more HP. HP gains can be had (some methods easier than others) that overpower the built capability of any motor. There is yet to be built a motor that can't be blown up by someone looking for more!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X