intermittent cylinder 5 misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent cylinder 5 misfire

Hi. My name is Jason and Im new to firebirdv6.com. I have always loved General Motors products I started out when I first got my liscense with an 1981 Monte Carlo... I loved the car, but it was an old car and just turning 16 I didnt have the money to put into it. My next car was a 1991 Olds cutlass calais Quad 4, I liked that car, pretty fast for a four cylinder. Next was a 1988 Chevy Camaro... Whoa! Loved it. The styling, the performance, the handling. Great car, and Ive been in love ever since. I ended up wrecking the car and got rid of it, in the mean time i was driving a Pontiac 6000 STE till I found my new baby. A 1991 Camaro Convertible! Once again, I loved it, but wasnt that fast with the 3.1 v6 in it. I have kept the car stock and drove it around for years. I still have it today! after a timing chain broke in my 98 cavalier, I have found my new glory. The Fourth Generation Firebird. For a bone stock v6 this car has lots of power and matched with the five speed trans, it goes pretty fast. I've only had the car for a week and there was one problem that i noticed with it. The drivers side power window was broke. Well here in toledo, it was kind of chilly today so I left the car running in the driveway well i took the door panel apart. Turns out that it looked like someone else had tried to fix it before, but the bolts they installed came loose. I put new bolts in and adjusted the window so it works great now. After the repair, I took it for a spin down the expressway to see if there was any whistling from the window and when i was getting on the expressway, it seemed that the engine was miss firing.... I took it to the local Advance Auto and they ran the scanner on it and found it to be cylinder 5. I know that you all are probably going to tell me to change the spark plugs and wires, which i plan to do. But here it my dilema. The car was running probably about an hour and a half before i took it for a spin. After i let it sit in the drive for a couple of hours, I took it for another spin, No problems at all with it. No missfire. My question is this... Could it be something with the heat of having it running that could of caused this problem? .

thedecalspot@woh.rr.com
    1999 Firebird 3800 5 speed stock<br />1991 Camaro Convertible 3.1 auto stock

Welcome.

You don't mention the year of the car, so we don't know if it's a 3.4 or 3.8...
    After you change out the plugs and wires, if the miss is still there, the most likely culprit would be the coil pack for that cylinder. Just get a standard oem replacement [about $20]-- no need to go with the accel or msd.

I've had 2 coil packs go bad, and they both started as a slight, occasional misfire and got progressively worse [one really quickly, the other over a few days].
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

well i went to autozone and got new plugs, wires and a new coil... so far i put the coil on first so that if it was the problem it wouldnt fowl out my new plugs... and so far, it seems to be fixed.. i thought that it was kind of wired for only one cylinder (#5) and the other cylinder to be not misfiring since they run on the same coil. but i am happy that it is fixed... now just got to go change the headlights... thanks all.

by the way, 1999 firebird, 3800. all stock
      ---very impresed with the performance of this V6, one of the fastest v6's ive drove!
      1999 Firebird 3800 5 speed stock<br />1991 Camaro Convertible 3.1 auto stock

Comment

http://www.turbov6camaro.com/images/wires.JPG

good to have
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X