No announcement yet.

ran out of fuel !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you hear the pump running at all, with the key in the run position? Do you have enough gas init,, it should start unless that pump went out..thats my guess
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

check the fuse also mine popped one time
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

No - he's right. Check to make sure fuel is even getting to the motor. Follow the fuel lines to the Schrader valve -- you'll want someone to help you. Have them turn the key to the on position - you open the schrader valve.

Stock GM Fuel pumps are too weak to push air, they're notorious for it. If there IS air in the lines it will be pushed out when you do that, if not you'll get a little fuel sprayed out.
        Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

The question for me is: How much money in petrol aka gasoline does it cost a month to drive a 3.8 liter V6 Camaro in the
          United Kingdom? I would guess about $700!
          Can the original poster tell us? I believe U buy fuel in liters,
          we still use gallons.
          Phil

Comment

Where I live I buy my gas (or as the British say "petrol") in litres. From empty to full is approx. 57 litres, and with that I get 300 miles to the tank(combination of City and Hwy driving).
            1 US GAL = 3.78 litres
            1 IMPERIAL GAL = 4.5 Litres

A couple of Basic fuel system facts:

1) The instant the fuel pump impeller is exposed to a large quantity of air, it stops producing pressure and because there is no accumlator in the system, fuel pressure is lost immediately. With no pressure, there is no fuel flow and the engine power is lost. This is a basic hydraulic principle and explains why (when you run out of gas) there will still be fuel in the fuel lines. Without pump pressure the engine cannot "suck" the fuel from the lines.

2) The fuel pump will only run for a very short time (5-10 seconds) without the engine running. When starting, moving the ignition to the run position (from off) will cause the fuel pump to run for the timed perod, and if the PCM does not see ignition inputs the pump will shut down. In an engine stall situation, when the engine stops rotating the ignition signal is no longer provided to the PCM, thus the PCM will shut the pump down at the end of the timed period.

My guess is that Andrew probably didn't burn his pump out. The fuel level probably got so low that it uncovered the inlet strainer, causing the engine to stall. He didn't say if he completely filled his tank, cause if he did, the fuel pump would have been completely immersed and "primed". If he just threw a couple of litres in it, it might not have been enough to ensure the level was high enough to allow the fuel to reach the pump impeller element.

I like the fuse response as that is a very good possibility.
            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Oh, and if it is true that you have to change the pump, search for previous posts on how to get access to the fuel pump by cutting an access hole through the floor of the utility area of the car. Will save the expensive tank removal exercise!
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

many fuel injection cars will develop an air pocket in the fuel line when the tank rans dry. open the gas cap. get a towl and a small screwdriver. find the shraeder valve on the front drivers side fuel rail. remove the cover cap. cover the area with a towel and depress the schrader valve to bleed the fuel rail. (the schraeder valve looks like a bycicle tire valve.

start off by putting a couple of gallons in the tank.

as earlier poster stated you may need an assistant to crank the engine while you deprss shcraeder valve. do this until fuel start to leak out. the car should start right up.
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods
                Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

p.s.
                  I have owners manuals and service manuals on my website
                  01 Firebird A4 3.42
                  Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                  and other mods

Comment

several things yu cvan try.

it can happen but it is very unlikely that you will lose the pump running out of gas.

I have run the tank dry a few tiems in 3 seperate f-bodies and never had any problems.

may have to do the initial prime thing when you first turn the key like 6 times though.
                    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, kind and scathing !
                      I didn't mean to cause a fight.
                      Pump is now out and having broken it apart the top end is a molten mass of plastic so irrepairable, new one being quoted $300 to $800 ! and 2 weeks del'y, seeing if I can dhl one over.

In answer to the fuel cost yes we use gallons, but ours are slightly bigger than yours, although we sell fuel at the pumps in litres (don't ask). Just to shock you it costs around $100 to fill the tank (around $8 a gallon) but this is a bargain compared to the Winebago I used to own ($370 to fill). Around 90% of the cost goes to dear old Tony Blair !

Comment

Wow, $8/gal! Do people do much driving there? Most of us over here could not afford to drive if fuel was that expensive
                        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

i ran mine outta gas one time and it was the pump. but mine with mine the pump is not serviced the fuel module is. but i also learned that the fuel pumps are very common problem on gm products. the fuel acts as kinda of a coolant for the pump and unless it stays submerged then it will over heat and burn out. happens all the time but more commonly on trucks.
                          96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

taxes that high are counter productive. It takes too much money out of the capitalistic system. shame.

oops, wrong forum. [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]
                            01 Firebird A4 3.42
                            Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                            and other mods

Comment

Holly crap $100 to fill a tank. Aren't cars there more expensive too? I watch Top Gear and their conversions always shock me. Like they had a smart 600cc that cost 25k USD WTF? And the hemi 300c was I think like 60k over there. Even a jag was like 20k more then what they sell it here for. (it was the 400hp one)

What about used cars? Can you even get something drivable for 3k US over there?
                              97 Camaro rs 3.8<br />Flowmaster catback<br />High flow cat

Comment

odw777, you're right on all counts. The car industry call us 'the jewelled isle' and yes, a basic compact will cost $20,000. Having steering wheels on the wrong side stops us importing Europe cars. Still, now mine is back running it is the only one for a long way and gets you noticed !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X