WooHoo!! getting great gas mileage thanks to 160 stat... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WooHoo!! getting great gas mileage thanks to 160 stat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WooHoo!! getting great gas mileage thanks to 160 stat...

well I installed the stat a few weeks ago along with pulling my EGR valve..a first my mileage went to shiat, got about 240 miles to an entire tank of gas...right now Im at a half tank and just ticked over 180 miles...20 miles better than before, so im very happy I recommend doing it if you live in some of the warmer climates..like florida where I live :D , oh ya and for those of you that are still experiencing the cold...watching the girls walk by in south beach was great..lovely sun ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

I thought it was supposed to be the opposite effect when you put a 160 degree thermostat in. I had heard because the engine assumes cold start conditions that you use more fuel, and I just accepted that answer. Why would you use less gas just from an opening your water inlet earlier?
    1997 Mystic Teal Firebird w/ T-tops<br />3800 II V6 A4<br />Custom dual exhaust, modified airbox, K&N filter, ground effects, more to come...

Comment

Justin, I'll have to try that I've noticed my gas mileage going down the sh|tter once it started warming up.
      3.42 gears w/ LSD,<br />Headers, Cat delete, Loudmouth,<br />SLP intake, K&N, Whisper Lid, <br />EGR delete

Comment

195 thermo and I get about 350 to the tank. heavy city, slight freeway - short distances on teh freeway, long in city, its all in how u drive it.
        97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

hmm...I thought it was the opposite as well. BTW Nikon, when are we lining up again to run? [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

How much $$$$$$$ is a 160 stat?????
            -FLOWMASTER 80 series exhaust dual out,K&N air filter.<br />-Bright Rally Red, 1993 Camaro V6 automatic. No BIG mods yet! But who needs alot of mods when you have 160 hp? Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires 245/50-16\'s \"Great tires\" <br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG</a><br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG</a>

Comment

i get 340 mpt with 180

its gone down ever scince my egr is screwing up tho
              91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

340 mpt?? WTF? Either my car is broken or you guys drive like grandma :D Average i get 280 to the tank. Any suggestions?
                2003 Fire Red Dakota R/T 5.9<p>V-Force Exhaust<br />Custom Cold Air Intake

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lord_gufi:
                  i get 340 mpt with 180

its gone down ever scince my egr is screwing up tho
                  <hr></blockquote>

same with me if it'd be conencted still id most likely be getting even better mileage....and from my knowledge the colder an engine is the denser the air is and the more gas that can fit into the same amount of air, this being said, the engine doesnt have to rev as high because of the greater power your engine has, thus conserving gas....thats what I always though, oh and anthony well go again, Ill really be tearin your a$$ now [img]tongue.gif[/img]

and takumi, do you have a 3.4 or 3.08's? I know with my 3.42's the best mileage Ive ever gotten is 300 to a tank...and the thermo is about 5$ ;)

05' CTS-V

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nikon:

thats what I always though, oh and anthony well go again, Ill really be tearin your a$$ now [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I had you beat every run that night with 15.2s/15.3s while you were running 15.4s. You had a fluke run in the end! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

3800 3.42s =) Its all in how you drive it. You have to understand that its not just going slow that makes for better gas milage. Most people burn gas when getting on the freeway and leaving stop lights. Ud be surprised how much a difference it makes just backing off the throttle about 2cm.

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: Takumi Fujiwara ]</p>
                      97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nivit0:
                        I thought it was supposed to be the opposite effect when you put a 160 degree thermostat in. I had heard because the engine assumes cold start conditions that you use more fuel, and I just accepted that answer. Why would you use less gas just from an opening your water inlet earlier?<hr></blockquote>

You will notice no fuel economy decrease from installing a lower temp thermostat. However installing a heavier foot will cause milage to decrease, however you will go faster in general. Cooler head temperatures resulting from the 160 thermostat (when the radiator is capable of dissipating the heat given the right amount of wind since its undersized for our engines) will increase your overall horsepower and thus your thermal efficiency which will require less throttle to push your car on down the road.

How much throttle less? Well lets just say I got 34mpg on my way back from the track doing about 75mph all the way. This is a lot better than the consistant 29mpg I was getting with the 195 stat in similar weather [img]smile.gif[/img]

I prefer the 160 stat, it causes no problems unless you live in a climate that reaches temps below 20F for long periods of time. In those cases your heater might not get hot enough to suit you... personally I've driven mine in 20degree weather though here in FL and my heater always worked well enough for me :D
                        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Takumi Fujiwara:
                          3800 3.42s =) Its all in how you drive it. You have to understand that its not just going slow that makes for better gas milage. Most people burn gas when getting on the freeway and leaving stop lights. Ud be surprised how much a difference it makes just backing off the throttle about 2cm.

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: Takumi Fujiwara ]
                          <hr></blockquote>

she never goes about 2000 revs, I take it damn easy on my car....still funny, do you run regular or premium gas?

05' CTS-V

Comment

I start to panic when i hit 190 on my TRIP in my '98 and I re-fuel!

Ive hit 215 but got it filled up ASAP. Im sure I COULD go more, but y risk it.
                            \'98 z28<br /> <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all\" target=\"_blank\">http://photobucket.com/albums/a245/GreatSave9/?start=all</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X