takin out the a/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• takin out the a/c

I have a question my cousin said if we take out the a/c it will help the engine does it add any horse? I know it subtracts weight though.

might add a pony or two
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

It will add at least 5, at least that is what they use to say whenever you removed any pulley driven component.
      95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

i want to remove mine but i need my defroster for the winter. do i need my AC to use the defroster?

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it'll free up any extra horsepower. As long as you have the AC turned off, then the clutch is disengaged, so the pully isn't robbing any power. About all it would do is reduce some weight. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i dont think it will affect the heat or the defroster

Comment

The air conditioning system and the heater system are SEPERATE systems so you can remove one without removing the other. I have removed my entire A/C system and altogether it dropped about 50 some pounds off the frontend which does help and with that pulley and the idler pulley gone I'm sure it freed up a few high rpm horses. The other advantage I got is that with the condensor gone, I could pull the radiator forward and fit a mandrel bent 3.5" custom cold air setup between the radiator and the ABS unit and it works a LOT better than the SLP cold air induction kit I used to have! Go to the link and look near the bottom of the page for pics of my cold air setup.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312
              1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.9L<br /><br /> - TSP Dyno Tuned<br /> - Bored 0.040<br /> - ARP Rod Bolts / Head Studs<br /> - Custom CAI<br /> - Pacesetter Ceramic Headers / !Cat<br /> - 3\" Catback w/SLP Firehawk Muffler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312</a>

Comment

It's about 30 lbs max thats condensor lines and Compressor. I also removed mine. DEAD WEIGHT!
                New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

I'd consider removing all of mine except for resale value would plummet. I never... EVER use my A/C as is lol.
                  00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

well, since you guys said it wont effect my heat/defrost. im going to take out my AC cause somethings not right with it so its going. i just need my defroster for the winter and sometimes my heater.

Comment

I believe the AC compressor dries the air making your defroster more effective in the winter. It's a relatively new thing for cars to cycle the compressor on for defrost, so if it worked 10 years ago without using the compressor, it should work now..just not quite as well.
                      1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X