going to change grounds/power....need some help..., - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

going to change grounds/power....need some help...,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to change grounds/power....need some help...,

I am upgrading my wires under the hood because I got a beefy altenator (160amp) and going to take out the factory size wires and replace them with 1/0 guage. I know there is the one that goes from the + of the battery to the altenator. I also know there is one that goes from the - of the battery to chassis. Here is my question.

My chilton's book said there is one from the engine to the chasis, on the right side of the engine (near where you'd crawl under to play with the K&N FPIK. I have seen this before. It is a weak little strap. I am wondering, is that strap what they mean by the ground from chasis to engine?

I ordered all my cable from ebay (Orion 1/0 guage, $2.50 ft.) and I am getting ready to place a nice SQ system in as my age (20 lol) now wants clean music. I just want to know if that is the right ground or not so I can order up my 1/0 guage connectors. Where I work we are a distributor for Pheonix Gold wires etc... so I can get good prices on them. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Chris

That strap is the ground. If you're going to upgrade it, use a bigger braided strap. Auto parts stores usually have this next to the battery terminals. Don't use 1 gauge wire to replace that strap, it isn't flexible enough.
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

the largest wire I can find online is a taylor one that is 4 guage, will that be ok for engine to ground?

I am using 1/0 guage for altenator to battery, and 1/0 guage for battery to chasis. I am just curious if 4 guage from chasis to engine block is ok?

I will head to the parts store tonight and see if they have 2 guage or something.

Chris

Comment

You can always use more than one chassis to block ground if that's a concern. I've seen those wimpy little factory ones last 20+ years though.
        \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X