Plugs, How often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs, How often?

My 99 3.8 has 67,000 miles and has never had a spark plugs change. When the car had aprox. 50,000 miles I ask the dealer to change the plugs. They said that it was not necessary until 100,000 miles. Some times when the car is warming up in the mornings I feel some irregular vibrations. I don't know if this is caused by the plugs. Do I need to change plugs or wait until 100,000 miles?
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

If i were you i would change the plugs because when i went and had my intake gasket worked to get a new one put on . he had to take the plug wires off the coil pack and the mechanic told me i had some corrosion builing on it funny thing is i only have 41000 miles on my firebird. so i would definatly clean yours out or better yet swap them for new plugs and wires

Comment

I have a 98 3.8 and it ran fine til just over 90,000 miles. Started missing a little and within a few miles of driving was almost undriveable. New plugs and wires and all was fine. So it just depends on the car, fuel, driving habits etc.

Comment

Common law boys and Girls With the camaros i have come to find out that it is neccasary to change the spark plugs more frequently on V6 then V8. most definantly if you drive hard. pull a couple plugs and look at them if you have doubts. The plug will tell you alot just from looking at it. plug wires need to be changed occasionaly as well. usally rule of thumb when you change plugs change wires. you'll see a much happier car along with more money in your pocket from gas prices. If i am not mistaken plugs and wires on are camaros should be changed AT LEAST every 30,000 miles or ever 2 years or so depending on what comes first. hope i was a little helpfull . . . Happy wrenching
        ~BLUEICE~

Comment

Checked my books this is how it goes. . .

Non Platinum tips
          Every 30,000 miles or 24 months
          Platinum Tips
          Every 50,000 miles or36 months
          WHICHEVER COMES FIRST
          Hope that helps
          ~BLUEICE~

Comment

What books said this? 30K is excessive.

As WN said, pull a plug and take a look. At 60+K, I would recommend changing them out.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

every 30k miles change out spark plugs and wires????? i got ngk iridium spark plugs and msn wires so u telling me at 30k i got to change my msd's or my ngk iridium's?
              2000 camaro rs:whisperlid, 2.5 magnaflow exhaust, catco high flow cat, fast toys cai, 3.73, 160 power stat, msd 8.5 wires ngk iridium spark plugs, hpp3, zzp w/p and alt. under drive pullies, 1.9 Rockers/LS6 Springs with ls1 retainers

Comment

Changed the spark plugs in my 96 RS camaro at 52,000 miles which was two months ago because I was installing headers so I figured it was a good time to do it. I changed the spark plugs in my 97z24 at 95,000. Noticed a little difference (ran a little smoother)in the z24, nothing on the camaro. Both sets of plugs were original platinum. Pull a plug and look at it. That is the only real way to tell.
                69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Is it hard to reach every plug?
                  Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

It can be a pain . Both Chilton and Hanes Repair manuals.
                    The higher quality the plug the less often you have to change them. racing wires are a differant story then stock cheaps that you buy grom your local parts store.
                    ~BLUEICE~

Comment

for a beginner a plug change can be extremely hard - theres just no space to work. if you've got a your stock manafolds expect to spend a bit of time getting to the stupid things.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

WN. Did you say that those Hanes and Chilton manuals might be a pain or the plug change in itself? I have a hanes manual, I was considered to go on it.

Loochy, I have stock manifolds.

Comment

I would appreciate if you have any web resource I can use. I want to learn to do things beyond of installling air filter, thermostat or CAI.

Comment

im running stock wires, and most likely stock plugs at 156k miles.

i need to get out there and change em.
                            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

I had misfires, at 35kish, so I did a plug/wire swap.

3.8Ls are commonly known for having a wire issue do to excessive heat.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78028

Really good thread to read threw on it, I have my old screename MustangEater on that site.

I did mine once at 30k, did the heat sheathing, no issues, with hp tuners noticed a light knock issue doing some research on the GP boards they say are motors run ont eh warmer side and suggest a range cooler plugs, mainly autolites, so I threw in a set of autolite 605s around 48k ran a little better but nothing phenominal.

Either way at 68k I woudl change plugs and wires, 100k is rediculous.

other things to look at, PCV(noticed a difference changing mine at 45k) also do fuel filter, an injector cleaner, and seafoam the motor.

Just my advice.
                              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X