Bad smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad smell

I started my car up this morning and there was a faint, but seriously bad smell. It smells like something died inside my car, and it seems to be coming from the front floorboard. I opened my hood later, and located some fluid that had accumulated on top of my engine, just below the distributer ('99 3.8 if the location helps). It's a clear fluid but kind of greasy, and it's smokeing a little bit, which I assume is from it burning off of the engine. Any clue what this is? Thanks.
    \'99 3.8 Firebird<br />Red, T-Tops, Chrome Dante 17\'s, Cold Air Intake, Free Ram Air, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Duels, Performance Plugs/Wires, CATless, Smoothed out Lid<br /><br />Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint...<i>Firebird Power!!</i>

it sounds like one of your valve covers may be leaking, and you are seeing oil (it can look clear sometimes)

[ February 14, 2006, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: vanbibber ]

Comment

Originally posted by victimizati0n:
      edited [qb]
      Originally posted by 1999Spectre:
      [qb] deleted
      So the new guy said the wrong part...big deal, why not try helping him? :rolleyes:

Could either be oil or coolant. I'd probably guess oil.

What was the smell like? Which side was it coming from?

[ February 14, 2006, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: vanbibber ]
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

cleaned up. dont post if youre not going to be helping, your wasting my time and yours.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

it sounds like a oil leak.

btw redrocketbird.. the v6 doesnt use a distributer, it uses coilpacks(better known as DIS-distributerless ignition system)

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Thanks vanbibber, didn't know that about the distributer. Mabie this isn't the right place to ask but how does that work?

So this could be a valved leak? I'm gonna take it to get it looked at some time this week cause it was in a slight wreck about a month ago so mabie they can help me out. The smell is almost like a dead fish or dead animal, and it's coming out of both sides of the floorboard, making me pretty sure it's from the engine.
            \'99 3.8 Firebird<br />Red, T-Tops, Chrome Dante 17\'s, Cold Air Intake, Free Ram Air, K&N Filter, Flowmaster Duels, Performance Plugs/Wires, CATless, Smoothed out Lid<br /><br />Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint...<i>Firebird Power!!</i>

Comment

put it up on a ramp/lift & check & make sure it's not chinks of road kill.

Does the smell happen to come thruogh the vents as well? quick fix for that if it is, the other option that comes to mind could be a bad convertor leaking underneath the car.
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

yea, it's faint, but you can smell it best when the a/c or heater is on and coming through the vents.

Comment

3.4, are you deployed in Iraq right now? If you are, good luck over there. I really respect you guys and thank you for what you do for us.

Comment

3.4......your in iraq? i'll be over there in september. are you in the Army? what is your rank? i'm a PFC right now, i'll be a SPC by then. and if everything goes right i should have my bars in about 6 years..........and sorry bout my first post, i made that mistake when i first got my car, i was all looking on the back of my engine and everything looking for it.lol it was funny.

come get some
                    http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

dead fish = coolant.

anyone notice Dex-cool stuff smells bad like fish? I would assume coolant would be it. Especially since you smell it better when heat is on (heater core?)
                      3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

What's that foul, burnt smell coming in the vents at stop lights?

First be sure you don't have the oil leak problem mentioned above. If not, You may have a problem with oil leaking from the O-ring seal around the tail shaft. It drips onto the Y-pipe and burns off with the odor being sucked into the ventilation system. Reports of replacing the seal (part # 8673526) and bushing (part # 6260048) seem to fix the problem. Check with your dealer as these parts are supposed to have been improved/upgraded.
                        1999 Firebird 3800 5 speed stock<br />1991 Camaro Convertible 3.1 auto stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X