96 bird Y87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 bird Y87

I have a 96 firebird with the Y87 package. Ive read the tech page and I understand the options it comes with. Im wondering what the button in the center console that says 2nd gear start means and when would this be ideal to use. I mean Im not gonna be towing anything so Im wondering what its good for. Im also wondering if Y87 is even good to have. How much of an advantage do I have on anyone. Thanks
    1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

Have you checked your owner's manual? It's used for starting from a stop in slippery conditions. It uses 2nd gear to start off instead of first. ;)
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Yea I read that but Ive heard guys say they stay in second gear all the way down the track because u pull the most power from it.
      1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

Comment

yes, y87 package is good to have and you do have an advantage over others without it. it gives you stepper gears and LSD. both are a must and you have a head start on mods
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

... wow
          Ok. 2nd gear start should only be used if you can't get traction in first. Do not use it at the track. If you want to stay in 2nd gear all the way down the track. Shift it "manually" start in first then shift to 2nd, just don't shift to drive and you won't leave 2nd gear.
          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

i dought starting in second is good. its for slippery conditions so you dont spin your tires as easily

Comment

Originally posted by ReodDai:
              ... wow
              i was thinking the same thing

Comment

I went to the track and ran a 1/8 of 10.716. Its horrible atleast I thought I would do better stock.

Comment

that does kinda suck for Y87
                  00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

There's too many different factors that could affect that time. One time at the track is not an accurate representation of what the car is capable of.
                    Matt
                    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Shhhh let me have my laugh.

Comment

Yea it sux

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X