Internal mods or rear end & gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal mods or rear end & gears?

Ok heres the deal... i have complete exhaust and intake and ignition. I have 3.08 rear end so my question is should i get lsd and 3.42 or get a cam and heads next. I know i should most likely get the rear end setup but my last motor slung a rod at 4000 rpm with 68,000 miles on it so i am kinda scared to get on it alot so thats why i thought i might beef up the inside first. What should i do?
    1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

gears.

if you want to "beef up the inside" that would mean going to forged internals... and there's no guarantee that motor wouldn't grenade as well. give the L36 a chance!

Comment

get the rear end worked up. you have to support future mods
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Continue with the motor, get the power first, then the best way to use it.
        95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

Do the rear end first.

Heads and Cam aren't going to "beef up" the engine at all. That would involve a new bottom end. If anything, a new cam would cause the valvetrain to wear out faster than stock.
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

I would still put my money in the motor. How times have you ever heard of a rear end blowing up?LOL

Comment

Originally posted by saved1:
              I would still put my money in the motor. How times have you ever heard of a rear end blowing up?LOL
              He's not getting gears and LSD to keep it from blowing up. Gears will give much better acceleration, and LSD will give him traction.
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i dont care how powerful your motor is. if you cant get it to the ground. you dont have ****

Comment

thanks for the input guys i think i will go with gears and lsd. I use my car alot on the highway and i currently have the 3.08 ad get about 32 as a good highway average. How much will the gears affect my highway gas mileage?
                  1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

Comment

not that much. i have 3:42 and i get around that.

Comment

I went from 3.08 to 3.42's and I saw no difference in my highway mileage. If there is any it wouldn't be anymore than 1 mpg.

I would suggest going gears/lsd first as well. Power does you no good unless you can put it to the ground.

If you have an automatic make sure you factor in the price of PCM reprogramming for shift points and speedo. After my 3.08->3.42 my 99 A4 was HORRIBLY SLOW until I got reprogrammed for the new gears (I went the Wester's route).
                      SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

That is what traction bars and a posi rear end are for, its' no big deal to keep on the ground. But that is just my priority. I guess I just like hp and the ability to increase it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok this is gonna be my last comment. My car is a 96 3.8 a4. When at wide open throttle it shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 5900 rpm give or take 100. Is this about normal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X