idle a LITTLE low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle a LITTLE low

title says it all. the car has a small shake when its sitting. so im wondering how to turn the idle up just a tad. its right now around 600 rpm sitting. thinking it needs to be between 700-800rpm. correct? how do i adjust.

thanks!

Re: idle a LITTLE low

auto, or manual?

in gear, or out of gear if auto?

are you sure your gauge is right? mine is off 200rpm, so it says im idling at 1000 when its really 800

Comment

manual, out of gear sitting in N or as a matter of fact even with the clutch in and sitting in gear. my gauge is reading right around 600 rpm. its nothing bad just kinda annoying as it shakes and i get nervous it might die. so far so good just a little shake.

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post
        manual, out of gear sitting in N or as a matter of fact even with the clutch in and sitting in gear. my gauge is reading right around 600 rpm. its nothing bad just kinda annoying as it shakes and i get nervous it might die. so far so good just a little shake.
        the firing order of the 3.8 makes it pretty shakey, which is why they put a balancer in there, my car shakes a bit as well

the easiest way to tell if your gauge is off is just to look at your speed,rpm, and what gear you're in and use a gear calculator to see if it is right or not.

im betting that the gauge is off and your car is idling normally

Comment

i'm not sure on other years but on mine which is a 98 it has a screw on the throttle linkage that you just screw in or out to adjust your idle. It's located on the Throttle body where the throttle linkage connects. theres two cable and one has a phillips screw on it. hope that helps.

Comment

his car is a 2000 with an electronic throttle body, only way to adjust idle is through hptuners

Comment

gone are the days of manually adjusting idle. so i cant use the nifty screwdriver? hptuners is the only way?

Comment

or get your car tuned by someone else, im pretty sure its the only way to adjust a electronic throttle body, someone else may know something i dont though

Comment

I had a low-idle problem on my old '96 Camaro. I took the TB apart and thoroughly cleaned it, and the idle returned to normal.

The inside of the TB was layered with black carbon buildup, and it was beginning to block the normal airflow going to the Intake Manifold. Once cleaned, it ran like new again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe a dirty or malfunctioning idle air control valve?

Comment

IAC is my best bet too. If this isn't it then take it to pepboys and have them adjust it or run a scan.

If you have auto you should be at 850 to 900.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X