Engine is stumbiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine is stumbiling

Ok in the last few days I've noticed that once teh engine gets warmed up if I'm sitting at a light and lay into it ( about 25% or more) the car stumbles through first and a little in second. Also on a free rev it will do it unless i bring the RPM's to about 5K and clear it out. I'm little confused on what it could be. First thought was ignition isn't right but i can clear it out. Thanks in advance.

Re: Engine is stumbiling

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
    Ok in the last few days I've noticed that once teh engine gets warmed up if I'm sitting at a light and lay into it ( about 25% or more) the car stumbles through first and a little in second. Also on a free rev it will do it unless i bring the RPM's to about 5K and clear it out. I'm little confused on what it could be. First thought was ignition isn't right but i can clear it out. Thanks in advance.
    an engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, air, and a spark

first off, i would make sure the air filter is clean, i know it seems elementary, but it can make a huge difference

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge?

theres so many things that can cause a stumble, in your situation:

warn plugs/wires/coil going bad
    bad FPR
    leakey injectors
    not enough air getting to the engine (air filter, carbon buildup)
    bad cat

i would try and do the air filter/plugs and wires first, since your problem seems to maybe the engine getting too much fuel, or not being able to burn all of the fuel

Comment

No codes?

I second checking fuel pressure. Get it down to AZ and use thier PSI gauge and check specs. If its about time for a tune up then heres your reason to go ahead and do it...
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

yup no codes and its only after the engine has been running for a while. Just had it out today drove about 10Mi nothing but when i went to restart the car it rook about twice as long as normal ( started normally cold) and ran fine on the way back

Comment

ok well its still doing it. I've begun to notice its predominant if the car idles at a light before taking off.
          fuel pump was changed about 15K miles ago, plugs and wires 20K( july 08) and the airfilter is a cone style replacement and was just cleaned. Im going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow ( first day off) is there anything else that can be though of? of and i checked my cat its not glowing or getting hotter then it used to.

Comment

swaped plug wires, checked plugs and ran an engine diagnostic and cant find anything. the plugs show a milky haze on the electrode which i have been told is normal for a clean burning engine. so i'm stumped
            Edit: forgot to mention checked the fuel presure idle 38 and under free rev 33-35 psi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X