My car likes to overheat a lot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car likes to overheat a lot!

Now that the weather is warming up, I noticed my car's temp gauge going higher a LOT easier.

Just sitting at a traffic light for a normal amount of time, the gauge rises very quickly, and approaches 210 in no time!

Should I change the coolant in my radiator? It was changed when I bought the car at 82K, and now I have 100K. Should I use Water Wetter? Should I use a different thermostat?

It's getting annoying seeing that gauge rise quickly; I am concerned once summer comes around that I will be overheating...a lot.

EDIT: I should've added earlier that it approaches 210 fast, and goes BEYOND 210 when idleing a lot as well. Then the fan kicks in, but still....it heats up fast.

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: TheV6Bird ]</p>
    --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

210 is quasi-normal for our cars.

You say it's heated up - in Connecticut? I can't imagine it getting any hotter than here in South Texas. I've never had a problem idling in traffic with the A/C on, and a 195 Thermostat when its 110 degrees ambient air temperature. Who knows how hot it actually is near the asphalt where the air is taken in at.

Check your coolant condition, level, thermostat, and radiator cap for signs of wear or otherwise not up to par specifications. Also inspect your radiator for clogged debris.

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
    <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

It can't hurt to flush and fill your radiator, get rid of the old coolant that might be causing the problem. Even if that stuff is fine, you're spending under $15 to do it all, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Might as well pop a new thermostat in while you're at it, in case your old one isn't opening correctly, and it's only a few bucks. A new radiator cap might be a good idea too, and is also very cheap. It's better to spend a couple of dollars now on things that might be wrong, than to fix what happens when you actually overheat (radiator, warped heads, hosing, etc..)
      1997 Mystic Teal Firebird w/ T-tops<br />3800 II V6 A4<br />Custom dual exhaust, modified airbox, K&N filter, ground effects, more to come...

Comment

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

yup, its your thermostat. my 93 did that a lot. it fixed the problem for a while then it started doing it again. i had a slow leak in my radiator. changed that out and no problem what-so-ever.
          98 Camaro V6

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by key2emptiness:
            yup, its your thermostat. my 93 did that a lot. it fixed the problem for a while then it started doing it again. i had a slow leak in my radiator. changed that out and no problem what-so-ever.<hr></blockquote>Did you use the stock temp replacement, or did you use a lower temp thermo, like 160*?

Thanks for the replies everyone! :cool:
            --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

If you're going to replace the thermostat, go with a 160. It'll make your car run cooler than ever and even perform better.
              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camarorulz:
                If you're going to replace the thermostat, go with a 160. It'll make your car run cooler than ever and even perform better.<hr></blockquote>

Maybe not *16, I think he is New Haven, CT. It's always like 5 degrees there. You may want to go with *180, or if you do go *160, change it with the seasons, 160 in CT is a problem waiting to happen.
                -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Did you use the stock temp replacement, or did you use a lower temp thermo, like 160*?
                  Thanks for the replies everyone! <hr></blockquote>

i used the lower thermo of 160. it helped out a lot but like i said if it gets too cold up there go with 180. im a wuss when it comes to cold temperatures. 40 damn near kept me home. but with summer along its a okay :D
                  98 Camaro V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X