Problem arising... Blue-whitish smoke coming out... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem arising... Blue-whitish smoke coming out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem arising... Blue-whitish smoke coming out...

of my exhaust. I've put a new set of wires, plugs are almost brand new. I had also put a brand new CARSOUND catalytic converter. The car is not missing although it acted up silly for 5 minutes meaning erratic idle (no SES light flashing)about two months ago. My co-worker noticed that my exhaust was spewing out blueish-white smoke when I was taking off. This is the second time that someone had told me about the blueish white smoke. The last time was about a year ago. The car is running fine except for the header leak that I'm trying to isolate. BTW, the car has 159,xxx miles- all highway miles. I've heard of horror stories about head gaskets blown, crack on the head, water or coolant in the engine, blah, blah... What do ya'll think?
    <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

a black smoke is most of the times: gas
    a blue is : oil
    a white is mostly crack or blown head gasget
    but do your car miss idle all the time??
    because most of the time a craked or a blown will miss idle or a vibration

Comment

Nope my car is running excellent. No power loss or anything. I have no vibration, no hesitation. The only thing that is wrong on my car as far as performance is concern is the exhaust leak. I'm not throwing any codes, no SES lights.

Could it be that my engine is showing its age? Is it time for a rebuild?
      <i>00\' NBM Firebird~T-5<br />60\': <b>2.29 sec.</b><br />1/4: <b>14.7 @ 95.5 MPH<br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for me.</b></i>

Comment

159,xxx i would think so. go buy a used block and start modding :D
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Holy geez, 160K on a 2000 model? That's insane man. Lol, my 99 is settin on 53K.
          ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

mines a '95 with 65k and has a bad head gasket, you never know
            Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

Smurfs in the exhaust
              New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
              RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
              crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
              The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by '98 BlackBird:
                Smurfs in the exhaust
                I hate it when those little bastards get in there. Its usually mostly over winter :D

Anyways, yeah, 159,000 miles, i'd put my bets on that the engine is just burning some oil. (that is a lot of miles on a 2k, how'd ya manage that?) Keep an eye on your oil level over about 1000 miles or so, and see if you see a noticeable drop. Also, check your coolant, see if it looks murky, if so, maybe oil has mixed with it, pointing towards a blown or cracked head gasket.

Best of luck!
                1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

keep driving it, if no loss in power who gives a rip. why replace something that is fine. and this is the second time its smoked? i wouldnt worry.

Comment

You got an oil leak somewhere ... take it to a mechanic (or do it yourself) get some dye and isolate where the leak is.

I wouldn't worry about your engine being worn out. Pour some Seafoam into it (oil tank, gas tank, etc..)

It doesn't sound serious if you're not experiencing any performance issues with the car.

Comment

Where can I get this dye you're talking about?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X