Access to dealership OBD-2...could I change my tire speed rating? for speed limiter - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access to dealership OBD-2...could I change my tire speed rating? for speed limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to dealership OBD-2...could I change my tire speed rating? for speed limiter

ok well you know the speed limiter is set as to the tires that come on the car, mine came with the el cheapo eagle ga's, got rid of them quickly, the Z's and other 6'ers sometimes come with a higher speed rating, could'nt I just change the factory tire size and such? wouldnt that raise, not lift, but raise the limiter???

I've asked the guys at the dealership about just taking off the limiter, but not this...ya think it would work?

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: nikon ]</p>

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

you car doesn't have enough power to go past 118 so why bother! :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:
      you car doesn't have enough power to go past 118 so why bother! :D <hr></blockquote>

yeah I never hit my speed limiter
      my car struggles just to do 100 I think I got it to 107 once but it was like at 7,500 rpm's
      so what would be the point of taking off the limiter

:rolleyes:
      millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

7500 rpms huh? LoL, My bird is always at the limiter. I dont know whats wrong with u you guys. but Ive done many a race and been pissed that I lose cause I hit a limiter. For instance I raced ( of course going to lose ) but a 03 SVT cobra, and he started behind me and wasnt passin me so easy, but like he was pullen away after about 95 but then when Im @ the limit he just flew. ='/
        97 Special Edition Bird , Short bus stlye special

Comment

I recently took my car to the little peg all the way past 125 and it kept on pulling. I don't have much in the way of performance mods other than a high flow cat, flowmaster, and k&n. My speed limiter seems to have just dissapeared and I don't know why. I don't think there's any way to change your tire size and stuff (to remove the limiter) without converting to a Z28 computer (which would be a PITA). My friend had this switch that dissabled his speedo on his 240SX but I've been told that doesn't work on ours since it's monitored by the computer. Best bet would be to pay up for custom programming and have them take away the limiter, that's what I would do anyways.
          <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

If anyones' 3.8 doesnt have enough power to get to the speed limiter, something is definitly wrong. I have a 97 that has 85,000 miles that can hit 118 and begs for more. Now, whether I would feel comfortable doing more is a whole other story, but the 3.8 can get to 118 easy.

Gearing could be an issue too, too high and you will run out of RPM's to get there, but thats about the only way.
            Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

good question....
              Can my dealer ship change my tires ... and put Z tires on the computer via odbII?
              I'm tired to be limited to 120 mph...
              I can race BMW 5.25i and porsche 944 but not over 120....
              120 mph -&gt; 4th -&gt; 5200
              and then 5th...
              120-&gt; 3500....
              FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by vtv6firebird:
                If anyones' 3.8 doesnt have enough power to get to the speed limiter, something is definitly wrong. I have a 97 that has 85,000 miles that can hit 118 and begs for more. Now, whether I would feel comfortable doing more is a whole other story, but the 3.8 can get to 118 easy.

Gearing could be an issue too, too high and you will run out of RPM's to get there, but thats about the only way.
                <hr></blockquote>

dude my original comment about that was A JOKE. I know nikon personally and I was just breaking his balls. Both our cars can do 118 easily. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I used to work tech in a GM dealership in Sheridan. The speed limiter can be adjusted by the use of a Tech II, but it takes a lot more work than you think. You need some experience with the tech II, if you do figure it out, don't look to remove the limiter, just reconfigure it to 300 miles per hour or so. Then you'll never have to worry about touching it. Most dealerships will deny being able to do this, and it is HIGHLY illegal for them to do so. I'll dig out some of my old OBDII books and look for the process.
                  Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by vtv6firebird:

<hr></blockquote>

wow LOL
                    I cant believe you took that seriously [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                    I saw 99camaro99's post and without knowing personally saw he was joking, so I took it a little further but was still joking.
                    And BTW I cant hit 7,500 rpm's either
                    and gearing is not an issue I have an all stock 2002
                    anyhoo it was a joke :cool: [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X