Fuel Additives Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Additives Good or Bad?

I have heard that fuel system/injector cleaners are bad for you car. I have always noticed an improvement whenever I use them, but my friend was saying that it's actually bad for your fuel system.
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

I never heard such a thing. In fact I just put an injector cleaner in my car yesterday.
    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Comment

I do it every oil change.

Two of the better OTC products are Chevron Techron Concentrate and Valvoline Injector Cleaner.

The best you can find at most all Chevrolet dealers and on the web... BG 44K. Its not cheap but doing it every 15,000 miles or so is an excellent and easy way to keep the system in perfect condition.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I think you are reffering to OIL additives. They aren't all they are hyped up to be. I'd post a link to the Engine Oil Bible, but I'm not home right now.
        --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

Those fuel additives are just fine for your car and should be used when you suspect a performance lose. Most cars will not need injector clean until 40K. Using an oil additive in your car with low miles can be bad for it. The seals in your engine may not have set yet and putting that stuff in your car will cause the seals to expand like they should but if your seal are not set right they will expand out of place. My Autoshop teacher always told us never to use that stuff in a car with less then 50K miles.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
          White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

High Performance Pontiac mag had a Q&A on this a few months back. The ed. recommended a can of Chevron Techron (which is what GM uses as its private-label injector cleaner) every 7,500 miles.
            2002 Firebird <br />Mods: Whisper CAI and Lid, K&N, Edelbrock Cat-Back, Hurst Billet Plus Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick, BMR STB, 32mm front sway bar w/polygraphite bushings and end links, PHB polygraphite bushings, HPP3 tuned

Comment

I have tried a lot of fuel additives (injector cleaner) and I have found that in general the STP Full Fuel System Cleaner works best. You can find it at wal-mart in a silver bottle.
              1995 3.4L<p>K@N FIPK, SLP Fan Switch, Jet Chips 2 stage, Jet Chips Underdrive Pulley, Accel Coils, Nology Plug wires, RKSport Headers, Catco Cat

Comment

I like the Lucas fuel injector cleaner..
                Jeff ..
                1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Actually, stp is among the worst out there

One of the few I would recommend against using. Its cheap & can cause corrossion.
                  2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

From all I've read, Techron is as good as they get... I use it about every 6k miles.
                    Black \'97 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://chillcat.fortunecity.net/blahblah.html\" target=\"_blank\">See Pics</a> 3.8L, 5 Spd, Disc Rear, Hurst short shifter, MAF Screen Removed, RK Sport Headers, 3\" Cat, 3\" FM American Thunder Catback, Compcams .512/.507, (2x)275/40/17 Khumo 712(front) (2x)285/40/17 Good Year F1 GS-D3 (back).

Comment

yea, a few years back my girlfriend's business teacher was talking about how STP had to apologize to the public and stuff after a lawsuit of some sort.

The only one I really trust out there are Chevron's Techron™ and Restore's 2-in-1 Octane Booster and Fuel Injection cleaner.

Techron was actually tested by BMW and an indepenent laboratory where they bought used cars(BMW used their own), took out the valve pins and checked out the walls. Then they reassembled them, drove them for 3-5 tankful of miles with Techron and disassembled them again for inspection. The deposits on the valve pins lessened dramatically.

Restore's 2-in-1 is from personal experience. My previous car, several years back, was hesitating like crazy. When I step on the gas it would rock back and forth and won't accelerate. Only if I give it very light throttle did it SLOWLY accelerate, along with some rocking. I went to Kragen, bought the Restore, went to the gas station, put it in. As soon as I left the station, there was a slight improvement already. And as I used up the tank it went away.

Don't even bother with oil additives like Slick 50, Duralube, Z-Max,.,.,.They are being sued by the FTC last I checked.
                      [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

I havent heard about the corrosion from STP fuel additives. When I service generators with THOUSANDS of hours on them I would use STP fuel additives. It always did the trick. When it came time to tear them down(thousands of hours later), I did not notice any type of corrosion. These are generators are basically a small-block V6 with a generator end connected. Although i am always open to new information. Just learned something new today [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        1995 3.4L<p>K@N FIPK, SLP Fan Switch, Jet Chips 2 stage, Jet Chips Underdrive Pulley, Accel Coils, Nology Plug wires, RKSport Headers, Catco Cat

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> like the Lucas fuel injector cleaner.. <hr></blockquote>

I just added that stuff about two tank fulls ago [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          96\' Camaro RS<br />Stock

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I just added that stuff about two tank fulls ago
                            <hr></blockquote>

Did you like the Lucas fuel additive? Did it make a difference?

Comment

I dunno how much I like lucas after seeing something on bobistheoilguy.com

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Just makes me loose faith in the company as a whole.
                              2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X