car just overheated, thermostat, something else? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car just overheated, thermostat, something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car just overheated, thermostat, something else?

hey guys, while driving today i noticed that i wasnt getting any heat, it was just blowing cold, and i checked the temp gauge and it didnt move at all.

while this happened, i stopped at a red light and noticed that my rpms were stuck at 1500, then they went down to normal idle. Every time i stopped after that, the rpms did the same thing.

Then all of a sudden my temp gauge started working and i got my heat back, but the temp starting going way up, i watched it carefully, and it was just about to hit the red, i went down a side street to pull over, and then the temp gauge fell back down to normal operating temp and everything seemed fine after.

does this sound like a stuck thermo to you guys?

I just thought it was kinda weird that my rpms were staying at 1500 for a few seconds while all of this was happening. The thermo is only about 2 years old, and my coolant looks great.

edit* also, what is the stock thermostat temp for a 98' 3.8l?

Re: car just overheated, thermostat, something else?

the stock thermostat temp is 195 for 95-98

Comment

You probably have some buildup... start the car and let it idle for a few minutes, the amount of time it would take to reach normal temp, and feel your radiator hoses... the should be HOT... if they aren't it could be a bad thermostat, and since they're cheap you could replace it anyway, but if that doesn't fix it I'd flush the system...
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
        You probably have some buildup... start the car and let it idle for a few minutes, the amount of time it would take to reach normal temp, and feel your radiator hoses... the should be HOT... if they aren't it could be a bad thermostat, and since they're cheap you could replace it anyway, but if that doesn't fix it I'd flush the system...
        yeah, im planning on replacing it tomorrow, i just thought that it was weird what happened, i am assuming that the temp sensor is after the thermostat?

usually a stuck thermostat will cause the engine to overheat instantly, and not read nothing on the temp sensor, at least from my experience.

Comment

yea that's the reason why I was thinking a clog/partial-clog... I feel like I've had 50 problems with my cooling system and it acts different, and is caused by something different each time... lol
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
            yea that's the reason why I was thinking a clog/partial-clog... I feel like I've had 50 problems with my cooling system and it acts different, and is caused by something different each time... lol
            yeah, i have had no problems, but i am positive you are right and something was blocked because i was getting no heat.

all of the hoses and thermo were replaced not long ago and i did a flush with the green stuff.

my engine likes to drink a bit of coolant while driving so i add some every few months, it is usually clean

Comment

I would test your fans to make sure their working also. Just turn the A/C on and they should turn on. Are you using Dexcool still or have you swapped to the green coolant?
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                I would test your fans to make sure their working also. Just turn the A/C on and they should turn on. Are you using Dexcool still or have you swapped to the green coolant?
                yeah, while i saw the temp go up, i turned the ac on along with the heat.

i think the temp rose so high is because the thermostat finally opened up and the coolant before was so damn hot it made the temp rise really quick, then it went back down after everything evened out.. at least thats my guess.

i took the dexcool out probably 3 or so years ago, i use prestone extended life 50/50 to be exact

Comment

just started the car and drove for a bit, everything seemed 100% normal.

I think it was just a freak thing, but for $10 and 30 min im going to replace the thermostat.

Comment

did the same thing again today, i replaced the thermo, the old one was a lot harder to press down than the new one was, def. think that was the cause

Comment

yea i was going to say a sticky thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by debord97 View Post
                        yea i was going to say a sticky thermostat
                        the only thing that confused me was why the car didnt overheat.

im assuming the coolant temp sensor is after the thermostat which was preventing the coolant to circulate and the temp gauge from moving.

Comment

could have been a fail safe thermostat. they will screw up but somehow not in the closed position. not sure exactly how they work but everytime i replace one in a vehicle my friends always remond me to get a fail safe thermo. think they cost a bit more but i guess it's worth it.

Comment

Fail safe will lock open if it fails which is always a good idea to get one, esp here in AZ or any hot state.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                              Good to see the site is back up
                              by 2.8 Bird
                              So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                              2 hours ago
                            • FirebirdGT
                              New Site Hosting Issues
                              by FirebirdGT
                              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                              1 week ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X