Scheduled Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled Maintenance

It has been awhile, but anybody got any ideas for 50,000 miles / 9 yr maintenance? I just became a Lone Star from NJ, so any changes I should make for the warmer weather? Sun and 70 sure beats 3 ft of snow. And no, I am not raising the car to compete with the tons of trucks down here.

I can probably go from the 195 to the 180 thermostat (reprogram with the HPPIII), but what glycol/water mixture? Serpentine Belt needs changed, can I change any pulleys to aftermarket to get any improvements? And I should probably dump the rear differential.

Close to a brake change also, anybody got any ideas for pads and slotted/drilled rotors?

Looking for any type of mods not already listed.
    Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Re: Scheduled Maintenance

You could buy a haynes manual and it will tell you what needs to be done at what milage and also have a description and pictures on doing the maintance. You should list what year car and engine , that would be helpful too, along with any mods?
    But the simple things:
    Spark plugs- NGK TR55's
    Fuel filter
    PCV
    Hawks Ceramic pads
    Bremo Blank rotors or get some that are zinc coated for looks/ if you really want the look R1 Concepts have nice D/S but blanks will stop quicker.
    Oil change
    Tranny oil change
    Check rear diff. gear oil level
    All fluid levels
    Air filter, new one or do a K&N or simular
    Tire presssure and see if they are still doing fine and not misallinged.
    Check spark plug wires for cracks
    Check engine belt for cracks( if orginal I would replace)
    Check all water hoses
    If you have Dexcool in it maybe flush it to the green stuff, green stuff is distilled water(NO TAP WATER) and anitfrezze 50/50 mix.
    Thermo 180 is fine
    SLP manual fan switch is also a good investment( allows you to control low and high fan speeds while driving)
    Check all your suspension to make sure everything is tight/greased and no bushings are going bad, A arms upper/lower, Tie end rods, LCA's, Panhard rod, Tq arm mount, tranny mount, sway bar bushings and endlinks are greased
    Before you change your spark plugs,oil, fuel filter maybe use some Seafoam through all of it to clean out the systems, then change everything out. (Theres a Seafoam writeup in the stickeys above on how to use it).
    Also check your A/C to make sure it is blowing cold, 30-40 degrees at the center vent is good.

This is a basic list on what I would do if it was my car, but its up to you. Good luck I think i got eveything, I'm tired and haven't slept.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

There are some good suggestins in there. I am back to apt living so maybe I will have more time to spend on the car.

Mods, which may or not be in my profile:

K&N
      NGK Plugs and wires
      50/50 with water wetter
      Lost track of the thermostat. I tried to go to the 160 during the Northeast winter, and the car got too cold and never got out of the startup mode where the computer keeps pushing fuel to heat the engine up.
      Battery, Redtop Optima
      High Flow Cat
      3" s pipe
      Borla Exhaust
      HPPIII
      And Haynes manuals rock for DIYers such as myself, mine is still in NJ.

The only dumb question I have is how to grease suspension parts?
      Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Caroccia View Post
        The only dumb question I have is how to grease suspension parts?
        If I recall correctly, most of the suspension parts (balljoints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, etc.) were sealed and didn't have grease fittings.

...I could be wrong though. It's been a while since I've had the 'ol f-body in my driveway.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes if they are factory A arm bushings and tie end rods they will not have fittings, but new ones come with fittings (cheap GM not wanting their parts to last) , but greasing the sway bushings and endlinks or even getting poly bushings with fittings and poly endlinks , maybe a poly Tq arm mount and poly tranny mount would be good if yours is cracking. Theres alot you can tune up and on the when doing it you can get better parts, esp. for the suspension.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
            Good to see the site is back up
            by 2.8 Bird
            So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
            2 hours ago
          • FirebirdGT
            New Site Hosting Issues
            by FirebirdGT
            All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
            1 week ago
          • LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X