Question on Accel plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Accel plug wires?

A auto store here in Newfoundland had a sale on all their Accel wires.Thay never had a listing for my 97 Firebird V6 so i picked up a universal Fit set of wires.
    Thay are Accel Super Stock Spiral Core 8mm Universal Fit.
    Also on the box thay say it fit's "with HEI and without HEI".
    I am not shure what i should use.
    Anyone?
    BILL<br />1997 Black Firebird,3.8 V6.

HEI was the standard ignition on GM cars from the mid 70's to the late 80's (high energy ignition). HEI vehicles have 90 degree boots (ends) on both sides of the wire, and Non-HEI has a 90 degree boots on one side and a straight boot on the other. You don't need to worry about the HEI requirements for our 4th gen f-bods, just make sure you pick the correct fitting boots for your engine. At the coil packs you'll need the 90 degree bend, but at the other you may need something else. They should fit your car just fine because you can custom make them with either boot.
    I believe that 3.4 V6's call for 90 degree on one side and straight boot on the other, and the 3.8's have 90 degree on both sides. Although I could be wrong about that statement, but the Accell 8mm wires are a good brand. I have the same brand on my 96 3.8 and I haven't had any trouble at all.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

The ones i picked up are...
      8MM Universal 8 Cyl.Straight Spark Plug Boot.With HEI / with-out HEI.

This was the only univerasl set thay had left.
      I got them for a GOOD price.The dealer has the stock OEM wires for $70.00+15% tax.Rember i'm in Canada.AND i got the Accel 8MM wire set for $50.00 tax in.
      So for that price i could not pass it up.
      It's a 8 Cyl set but thats OK , i'll just have two wires left over.
      So your saying that the 1997 3.8L V6 has a 90 on each end?If thats true than Dame , i got the wrong ones.
      OR can i use a straight spark plug boot?

[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Wheeler ]</p>

Comment

On my 3.8, I truly needed 90 degree on both sides. A straight boot on the spark plug side will burn because there isn't any way of routing the wire around the exhaust manifolds, unless you invent something :D . Try going back to the store and asking if they will trade the straight boot ends with the 90* boots. The guy over here at my local speed shop did it for free.
        Wow, $50 for spark plug wires? I thought it was expensive when I bought my accell 8mm's for $34.

-Marc
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks.
          I'll go back tomorow and see if thay have the 90 ends there.
          My prices are in Canadain money.But still the OEM wires from GM are almost $90.00 and the Accel 8MM and 8.8MM wires are almost $110.00.
          So when i seen the ones i have for $50.00 i jumped at it.
          Get this,the cheapest tire(245/50/16's) that i can find around town is over $200.00 each!!

Comment

Thanks
            I went back and got the 90 ones.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wheeler:
              Thanks
              I went back and got the 90 ones.
              <hr></blockquote>

Cool, now just custom make each one and take your time. I did something a little different with my wires to help insure that they won't burn/melt near anything hot.

http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=53

I have had several people respond to me by email saying it worked well with their wires -ESPECIALLY the 3.8's!

Good luck

-Marc
              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X