Car leaks, im stumped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car leaks, im stumped?

Ok, My car has started to take a good amount of water inside when it rains. It is always in the same spot. The water ends up on the passenger side floor in the back seat. I thought it was the weather stripping or seals. But its not. Weather stripping and seals is keeping out all water. But how does the floor get wet when it rains? I need to fix this fast. I dont want to ruin my carpet. Please help.

Forgot to mention. I tested the passenger side and driver side door by throwing a big bucket of water on top the car and on each side. Not a drop gets in.

Comment

you wont like my answer but... unless the leak is inside the car and drips onto the carpet you need to remove the carpet (and padding) -- this will involve removing the seats etc. next sit in the car and have a friend spray the outside with a hose and watch for leaks. you will find it this way. i found a leaky seal (it was leaking at the top of the seal and ran down inside the seal to leak under the carpet)

btw, you might try searching for leaks. i know some people have mentioned trouble with leaks around the hatch area (my memory is a bit hazy on this)

Comment

I had bad leaks where the A pillar meet the firewall due to missing sealant from factory. Pull your carpet back and spray hard there on both sides, under your computer and under where the harness goes through the firewall. I bet you will find your leak. A little body seal should fix the problem.
        180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

I had bad leaks where the A pillar meet the firewall due to missing sealant from factory. Pull your carpet back and spray hard there on both sides, under your computer and under where the harness goes through the firewall. I bet you will find your leak. A little body seal should fix the problem.
          180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

I have one coming through the air intake for the a/c and heat.. it's usually not toooo bad so I have just kinda let it go.. sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.. besides to auctually fix it I would have to completely remove the ENTIRE dash and am not entirely sure how to do that.. anyway it would cause the carpet on the FRONT passenger carpet to be wet.. I had to remove the seat peel the carpet and remove the glove box to find it.. not to mention a little "creative" cutting on the interior insulation.. :rolleyes:
            -Brad
            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
            :rock:

Comment

Having the same problem and need help figuring it out. Can someone help me out here.

Comment

I had a similar problem. I ended up removing the interior since my carpet smelled rancid and needed replacing. I had my son spray the car while I tracked down the leak.

It was in the rear hatch. When the wells around the hatch area would fill up. The water was leaking over the top of the weather stripping.
                The local Chevy dealer gave me some weather strip conditioner and I replaced rubber stops on the hatch (which had broken down). This fixed the leak.
                <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

Thanx ssbauer. My leak settles behind the passenger seat, was that the same area for you?

Comment

Mine settled in behind both the passenger and driver seats. Both sides of the hatch were leaking. Check those rubber bumpers. Cheap to replace, two cost about $3.
                    <b>Cheers!</b><br />Scott<br />1994 Camaro 3.4L V6<br />Flows, Underdrive Pulley, and a 180 Thermo

Comment

Plan to repair leak tomorrow. Does anyone else have other suggestions before i proceed? [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone has any other suggestions concerning my leak. Want a couple of possibilities just in case. Hey ssbauer thanks for your input yesterday! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds like you have some good suggestions but I will share a problem a had. The carpet in back always got wet when it rained. I looked and never found the problem. When I was modifying the exhaust, I noticed that there were holes in the floor boards that had factory plugs in them. The passenger side one had a bad seal and what was happening was that the carpet was soaking up the water that was splashing up under the car.
                          Food for thought.
                          Jim

Comment

You also might look at the seal along the bottom of the door. Sometimes water will collect in the seal and leak over causing your floor board to get wet. Have someone spray while you look with a flash light. You should be able to see the seal between the trim peice on the door and the door jam.

Comment

Sounds t-top related if you have t-tops...

REad my post here...

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=6&t=025294

(I know this is a post from the past, but I am 95% sure its t-top related, and figure its a good post for the posterity of the site.)
                              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X