Spark plug change V6 PICS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug change V6 PICS???

Does anyone have pictures of changing spark plugs in a V6 f body?

i only change the 3 of the driver side
    the other 3 i leave to the mechanic
    is cheaper for me

Comment

cheaper to pay a mechanic to change your spark plugs then you do it? What your time worth $60/hour and you have no spare time?

You don't need pics. Just take them out, just make sure you have a spark plug socket. Btw would be really hard to take pics of a spark plug install without removing the manifolds. Not exactly camera room down there, barely enough for my hands ;)
      00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Originally posted by ReodDai:
        cheaper to pay a mechanic to change your spark plugs then you do it? What your time worth $60/hour and you have no spare time?

You don't need pics. Just take them out, just make sure you have a spark plug socket. Btw would be really hard to take pics of a spark plug install without removing the manifolds. Not exactly camera room down there, barely enough for my hands ;)
        in aruba the mechanics charge for the work not the hour

Comment

How must they charge? Here it would be around $60 to change them regardless.
          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

What size are the spark plugs? I want to do them myself and need to buy a spark plug socket, swivel joint, and an extension. Im also goin to borrow a torque wrench from autozone.

Comment

5/8" I think. Have a variety of extensions and stuff, you'll need them. Also, the torque wrench will probably be pretty much useless, unless someone else has suggestions I don't know of, not enough room! All you need is some patience (some beer helps too) and some bandaids and you'll be fine. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

you shouldn't need a torque wrench, just make sure the plugs are in there and aren't going anywhere. its like removing a bolt. put your socket on the plug. turn it counterclock wise. remove old plug. putting the new plugs in is just the oppisite.
                Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

Originally posted by BethAnn:
                  and some bandaids
                  This is some very good advice lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing:
                    is cheaper for me
                    taking the alternator and egr valve off will give you a lot more room to work.
                    1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

first what year car is it im gessing its a 98 and under....

you shouldn't need a swivle, pull the wire off, reach in there with the socket put it on the put the extension on if needed then the ratchet.
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenowner:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 3.4orNothing:
                        is cheaper for me
                        taking the alternator and egr valve off will give you a lot more room to work. </font>[/QUOTE]ACCUALY THE RADATIOR WOULD COME OUT AND GO BACK IN FASTER THEN ANY THING (**** sorry about caps) i would tak the radator out (good toime to flush it and change the fluid lol
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

You need lots of extensions and joint thingies....(sorry I'm a girl) anyways, it took me like 6 hours, seriously. Mine's a 98....pain in the ***
                          Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

mine is a 98 and it took my AND a friend to change my plugs. have to get under the car to change most of them. You're right though, not much room to get your hands in there.
                            New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                            RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                            crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                            The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Yeah cassie, you are right. I probably used 12 different pieces in different combinations to get to all of the plugs. My '99 is a pain too. I've got my time pared down to a couple of hours, but the first time I did them it was an all day job and it sucked! But it's still worth not paying someone else to do it. Nice sense of satisfaction, too.
                              <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X