Engine Clicking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Clicking...

Not exactly sure where this goes but it does seem to relate to engine maintenence so im posting it in general, if it needs to be moved, mods please do so, but my question is this

as of the last few thousand miles my engine has gradually gotten a good clicking sound going from what i believe to be the lifters, its at its worst when the engine is first started but it continues as it warms up and i can hear it up till about 1500ish rpms...
    ive ran lucas oil stabilizer through it because one of my friends said that it would cure it or make it less, and it seems to be exactly the same if not a little more pronounced when i first start the car up
    if anyone has any clue on how to fix this or lessen it i would appreciate the help...ive done all i know minus pulling valve covers and adjusting the lifters...
    thanks
    Jhonathan
    R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

is it a click that sounds like it isnt doing any damage or hurting anything every give or take 20 secs.

because my car does that, and my moms suburban does that, and my freinds dad truck does that, so i always figured it was a gm thing, and no problem
    Camaro 95 3.4L M5<br />Flowmaster 80srs<br />Catco High Flo Cat<br />Slp CAI<br />Prime wheels

Comment

Maybe sticky valves, try some fuel injection cleaner and see if it gets better.

Does the clicking sound worse when its cold?
      Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

Comment

clicking is worse when its cold, the clicking corresponds to the RPM, at lower rpms it clicks 1 per second or so at higher rpms they increase along with it

fuel injector cleaner has been ran through, as well as throttle body cleaner, im looking for easy fixes but from what it seems there probably arent any?
        it doesnt sound like its damaging but it is annoying...
        R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

Before you start doing engine work check your headers or manifolds gaskets because it's a chevy most chevies have a clicking sound when there headers are leaking... Just something for you to check before major monifications are done...

Comment

i had the same clicking and i found the problem to be a loose spark plug wire.....just reconnected the wire and never heard the clicking again.

hope that helps
            Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago
            • SixShooter'00Camaro
              Revival
              by SixShooter'00Camaro
              Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X