Oil pressure gauge maxed out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure gauge maxed out.

Hey gang. So I took my camaro out today for a couple of drives instead of my DD. On the way home I saw the oil pressure gauge peg out at the high side of the gauge. Showing some ridiculous pressure. Car drives/sounds great. Guessing the sending unit has died? I know that's how it is with aftermarket sweeping gauges, they peg out at maximum if the sending unit is disconnected.

Is this the part I want? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...edVehicle=true
    sigpic

Re: Oil pressure gauge maxed out.

That would be it, oil pressure sender. Just be careful taking the old one out they can snap pretty easy. They make a huge socket to remove them thats over priced, but a adj. openended wrench will work fine.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sweet, going to let her cool down, have some bbq and get that fixed :).
      sigpic

Comment

Oil pressure sending unit replaced. Everything is fine :).
        sigpic

Comment

question.. did your check gages light come on?

i noticed that when my thermostat stuck and my car overheated the light did not come on, nor did it come on when my belt was slipping after i hit a puddle.

if yours didnt come on when your oil pressure was reading crazy.. im gonna go out on a limb and say the light is pretty much useless!

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            question.. did your check gages light come on?

i noticed that when my thermostat stuck and my car overheated the light did not come on, nor did it come on when my belt was slipping after i hit a puddle.

if yours didnt come on when your oil pressure was reading crazy.. im gonna go out on a limb and say the light is pretty much useless!
            The check gauges light did NOT come on, but the pressure was fine, the sending unit was just broken. However I'm not sure if the check gauges light would come on if the pressure was low and the gauge was broken. I would guess not since the pcm wouldn't know that the pressure is low, unless there is a secondary sensor somewhere.

If I were designing the car I would make the light come on if any gauge breaks or has no signal. But who knows how GM has this setup. Maybe someone else could chime in on what conditions actually trigger that light and weather or not there are secondary sensors.

I would say though, that if any safety related gauge is broken you shouldn't run the car until it's fixed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
              The check gauges light did NOT come on, but the pressure was fine, the sending unit was just broken. However I'm not sure if the check gauges light would come on if the pressure was low and the gauge was broken. I would guess not since the pcm wouldn't know that the pressure is low, unless there is a secondary sensor somewhere.

If I were designing the car I would make the light come on if any gauge breaks or has no signal. But who knows how GM has this setup. Maybe someone else could chime in on what conditions actually trigger that light and weather or not there are secondary sensors.

I would say though, that if any safety related gauge is broken you shouldn't run the car until it's fixed.
              im not really sure what exactly this gauge does, i know in the 99+ cars it will come on when the fuel level gets too low.

it seems to be pretty useless since the light doesnt come on when you have a problem and need to check the gauges

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                im not really sure what exactly this gauge does, i know in the 99+ cars it will come on when the fuel level gets too low.

it seems to be pretty useless since the light doesnt come on when you have a problem and need to check the gauges
                x2 ive only ever seen it for low fuel

Comment

when i blew my original motor the check gauges light DID come on when I really had 0 oil pressure :), unfortunately i was at 90+ and though I killed the motor quick the damage was done. it will also come on if you overheat, but it didn't happen for cam98aro when his gauge was broken so i guess it is based on the sending unit the gauge uses.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
                    when i blew my original motor the check gauges light DID come on when I really had 0 oil pressure :), unfortunately i was at 90+ and though I killed the motor quick the damage was done. it will also come on if you overheat, but it didn't happen for cam98aro when his gauge was broken so i guess it is based on the sending unit the gauge uses.
                    my gauge actually didnt break, my thermostat got stuck closed, then proceded to overheat when it did open, the gauge spiked into the red zone for a minute or two

Comment

My check gauges came on when my alternator was dying. (only had 10.8v)

Helped me from being stranded somewhere.

Comment

Did you have any issues with the old unit breaking off during removal?

Lounge Moderator

Comment

@Bonemaro

The old unit came out surprisingly easy. I gave it a turn with a wrench and then it came out by hand. Putting the new one in was a lot harder. I could only thread it on by hand a few turns, then i had to use a wrench to put it all the way in.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thats because of the thread sealant. :P I broke my oil pressure sending unit when I installed my headers the first time. (I was such a noob then, I remember asking what exactly headers do after I had them in!)

My next step is to get a T fitting for it, and install a secondary oil pressure gauge in. Just so I know exactly where its at. I don't like the dash gauges, tech 2 says one reading, dash says another, and external gauge said another. All reasonably close, but still..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                              Good to see the site is back up
                              by 2.8 Bird
                              So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                              3 days ago
                            • FirebirdGT
                              New Site Hosting Issues
                              by FirebirdGT
                              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                              2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X