Oil Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leaks

ok. So the past couple of week I have been doing lots of work on my 1996 Camaro. I put headers, new oil pan, new oil pan gasket, new oil pickup screen and changed the rear main seal(cover and seal part), changed transmission filter and fluid and cleaned all parts up. It leaked oil before and this is the reason I did all this work. This ***** leaks more now than ever before. I mean it leaks 12in in diameter within a few minutes. It doesn't leak if its at a incline alot but as soon as it on its own it starts pouring out the hole the bell housing part. What the heck is wrong. Is this the oil pan or rear main seal leaking?

Re: Oil Leaks

the rear main seal will only leak when the engine is running, it is the oil pan.

how much did you torque the oil pan gasket bolts down?

they should be very loose, just a tiny bit tighter than hand tight, its possible that you crushed the rubber seal on the gasket. They also recommend putting a tiny bit of RTV on each of the 4 corners of the oil pan and the engine block

Comment

I just took the starter and bell housing plate off and its leaking I believe from the 2 rear corners. Could I take the oil pan back off and then rtv those 2 corners and put it back in or is the gasket now toast?

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers View Post
        I just took the starter and bell housing plate off and its leaking I believe from the 2 rear corners. Could I take the oil pan back off and then rtv those 2 corners and put it back in or is the gasket now toast?
        the gasket should be fine, just loosen all of the bolts, the pan will drop low enough to stick your finger in there and put the rtv on

Comment

Ok. Is there any possibility that the cover for the rear main seal could be leaking at the bottom cause i changed that gasket also but it looks to be dry up to, or is this a common issue with these oil pan gaskets? Also does it matter what kind of rtv I use? I have copper and I also have the grey kind I think.

Comment

i wouldnt use copper stuff, and im not sure what the gray stuff is. I used permatex blue.

anyways, its doubtful that it is leaking from the back plate.. its been a few years since i replaced that gasket, so i dont remember all what was back there, but i think that plate just covers up the cooling ports.

since you said it didnt leak when the car was on a hill (assuming the front of the car was down) it has to be the oil pan, there isnt enough oil in the engine for it to leak from the rear main, not to mention the baffling on the gasket to keep oil in the pan

Comment

It's actually the total opposite on the hill thing. It doesn't leak as bad when the front of the car is up but when it's level it leaks more but then again that was when the bell housing cover was on so maybe when it's level it let's the oil come out easier. I do think it's the oil pan gasket though.

Comment

Well I dunno what is going on. Took the pan back off and rtv'd the corners like you reccomended and it is worse now than before. I am also thinking the rear main cover is screwed up as well. I am just going to pull the transmission back out and redo everything and replace that expensive oil pan gasket again. This totally sucks. Add's another week or two since I have no time to work on it and means I am going to be spending $50 for 2 days worth of driving to class and back.

Enough of the rant just giving a update.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers View Post
                  Well I dunno what is going on. Took the pan back off and rtv'd the corners like you reccomended and it is worse now than before. I am also thinking the rear main cover is screwed up as well. I am just going to pull the transmission back out and redo everything and replace that expensive oil pan gasket again. This totally sucks. Add's another week or two since I have no time to work on it and means I am going to be spending $50 for 2 days worth of driving to class and back.

Enough of the rant just giving a update.
                  well, that is good news (possibly)

the oil leak is most likely the oil pan gasket.

when you are tightening the bolts are you making sure you tighten them in different spots on the pan, and not just doing the ones that are next to each other? its really easy to warp the oil pan that way.. or your oil pan could be warped and thats why you have the leak (im assuming you replaced the oil pan gasket because of a leak in the first place)

Comment

Well I hit something and the oil pan needed to be replaced so I got a new gasket for it. Yes I am tightening the pan in different places. I just don't know what is going on.

Comment

I agree with cam98aro with the oil pan possibly being warped... is this one from a junkyard or is it brand new?
                      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

It's brand new.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                          Good to see the site is back up
                          by 2.8 Bird
                          So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                          3 days ago
                        • FirebirdGT
                          New Site Hosting Issues
                          by FirebirdGT
                          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X