startin problem pelase help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• startin problem pelase help!

i'm a noob with firebirds so i just thought i would ask and see if anyone could help...my 99 firebird has been startin bad lately.. u turn the key and it turns over and everything it just wont start up until u give it some gas and turn the key about 2 or 3 times... i took it to a shop and had them look at it and they said it was the injectors... that they were all bad...so i had all 6 injectors replaced and a new fuel filter put in...and its still havin problems startin.... does anyone have any idea what mmy problem is????? thanks
    1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

First, I would have ran some fuel injector cleaner through those injectors, that or some seafoam. MUCH cheaper than injectors. Second, how's the car run when it's finally started? did the new injectors have any change in performance? if the car runs decent when you finally get it started and drive it then it must be... Third, it's your Battery, go to Advanced Auto and have them check your battery. I had a bad battery and had the same problems... replaced the battery, ran like new! If you have a Walmart around, Battery's for our car's there are a dirt cheap $25 - $30 bucks...
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

its not the battery its fine...and i had run 2 bottles of injectors cleaner threw it before i had them replaced... but everything is fine after u get the car started...u have to give it a lil gas sometimes when u first start cause the rpms dont wanna sit still for some reason...it just takes 2 or 3 times on the key and when it starts theres some black smoke comin out..i know thats gas and i think its because somehow its gettin flooded before i even try to start it...but i dotn know... thanks for the help though
      1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

Check your battery cables. The crappy Delco batteries leak, mine leaked at the positive terminal and into the battery cable causing lots of problems until I figured out what it was.
        <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

i still dont think its my battery. but i have no idea. whenever i have had to start it and give it gas it really seems like its floodin.

Comment

Well, you aren't supposed to give fuel injected cars any gas when starting, that's probably why it's 'flooding'. It really won't start if you keep your foot off the gas? I'm not too familiar with the fuel system, but from what you describe it doesn't sound like it's really a fuel issue. You don't have any codes or notice anything else when driving?

EDIT: I also meant to say that even if your current battery is fine, the old one may not have been and could cause cable problems. Is it still the original battery? And did you have it tested, that's why you say it is fine?

[ August 02, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: BethAnn ]
            <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

its still the stock battery and its fine...since i got the new injectors put in it has got to were it will start when u hold on the key and u dont have to give it any gas but u have to hold on the key for a good 7 or 8 seconds...but it seemed like it was floodin before i was puttin my foot on the gas...cause black smoke would come out...like the injectors where drippin gas into the system already. but after its started everything is fine...i was thinkin that it was probably somethin with the starter or somethin else in the ignition but the people at the shop said it was the injectors...obviously it wasnt..

Comment

It's probably your fuel pressure regulator. Supposedly(sp) from what I've read about on this forum, our cars are notorious for it. It won't hold the fuel pressure very well and it "floods" the cylinders while the car is off.

I guess the tell tale of this is if it starts up fine when the motors was off for only a few minutes.

I want to replace mine but I don't know where to get one or how to do it.
                - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

welcome
                  this may be overly simple but ...fuel filter.

or maybe take your battery some where where they do free diagnostics on the to check it out, like kragen auto parts. had darn near the same problem before.

also check the tubing going directly into the throttle body. mine was bumped loose before and did the SAME thing.there is a 90' elbow going into the throt. on the left side, as you look @ it on 92-97, and prob. the same on thje 98+

also dont go back to that car shop. if they misdiagnosed that...wtf else is next.
                  [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
                  92 25th rally sport garage baby, 97 30th rally sport, 01 camaro garage baby. obsessive compulsive camaro fan. id rather push a camaro then drive a rice burner.

Comment

Red v6 raider- if you want to buy one go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and go to catalog and find it on there...i dont know if the camaro and the firebird have the same ones but the part number for the firebird is 17113346 and its just like $33 i dont know about puttin it in but thats where you can get one. thanks for the idea too

Comment

umm it sounds like you need new spark plugs, this was happing to a members car he would have to try and start it like 3 times, we changed the plugs and its fine now
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

it has brand new plugs on it. its not the spark plugs... the shop its at right now just called and said they checked the fuel pressure regulator and it was fine and they think its the fuel pump.....

Comment

I mentioned this to my boyfriend last night, he said fuel pressure regulator too... but I guess it's not. Wouldn't a fuel pump issue give problems when driving too? I don't know. Hope you get it resolved though, good luck.

Comment

well when turn the key on my car (i have to let it pime with my 57# hour injectors or it don't to start lol) the fuel PSI jumps a round to hiiting up to 46 PSI and finally stoping at 42-43 when driving around it stays at 42 unless i need to down shift then it goes up to 46 psi and at 25 MPH in 5th gear it can peg as much as 50 PSI this is on the stock regulator
                            www.turbov6camaro.com
                            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

lol well i have decided the people at my shop dont know what they are doin cause they called back and said that now they think its the fuel pressure regulator. i would be happy if thats what it was cause it should only be like 1 or 2 hundred dollars compared to a new fuel pump installation bein closer to 1000.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X