Cylinder #6 misfire, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder #6 misfire, need help

I had a bad misfire in my #6 cylinder, got the spark plug out and it was fouled up very badly with carbon. Replaced it and it's back to normal. The wires are less then a month old. And the plugs are less then 2-3 months. I'm using Bosh Platnum plugs with Borg Warner wires. How did the spark plug get like this? My guess is because it's running rich, and for some reason my car is wasting more gas then usual. If it was a bad o2 sensor wouldn't a code come up? Few more questions... Could the IAT sensor have anything to do with it at all. And also sometimes my intake falls out while i'm driving, it fell off and thats when it started misfiring. Now which way is it. The intake fell off and more air comes in so wouldn't it run lean? Or the intake fell off and more air came in, being read by the MAF it added more gas causing it to run rich. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I want to try an avoid any future problems.

Ted

If your intake just falls off, you might want to have that looked at. Do you have a stock intake? You might want to try replacing the MAF sensor, I know mine was all fouled up with oil from my intake filter and made my car run rich. It didn't set a code until like 400 miles later, and I got a lean fuel code. I guess there is no fault for a dirty MAF sensor.
    1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

Well i use to have a ram air system on my car and went to a custom cai, the only problem is the rubber peice i'm using to connect it to the TB isn't long enough to fit on the pipe. Often times I have to leave my MAF screen out to keep it in there. So sometimes it does fall off. MAF sensor might be good to look at, i'll check it out because I do get a little oil in my TB from time to time. But could the intake falling off be the reason it was fouled up like that?

Ted

Comment

You should get one of those hose clamps to keep your intake on. Pretty muc hthe only reason that it should be falling off would be due to installation. I would imagine that its supposed to be there, and without it, your car is going to run like doo doo. Not too sure though, cause like I said before, I never had this problem.
        1999 C5<br />2000 Ford Lightning<br /><i>Don\'t hate me because I\'m awesome</i>

Comment

Possibly, your #6 plug is fouling out because the #6 spark plug wire may be shorting out on the intake manifold (a common problem with our f-bods). When there isn't sufficient power going to the wire to ignite the spark plug, the result could be fouling of the plug because it isn't firing right. My #6 looked like **** (poop) when I had the same symptoms you are describing, but I also had a nasty misfire too. Try and replace the #6 Wire first before you go spending money on sensors, fuel injectors, ect. If the spark plug isn't fouling out on you anymore, you found the common problem. Try my install guide I did for fbody.com:
          http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=53

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

"Could the IAT sensor have anything to do with it..."
            IAT wouldn't cause the car to run rich, all it does is advance timing. You said that you changed the plugs. I say give them a couple of weeks and pull them all out and take a look at them. The #6 plug could have fouled out when it misfired just a few time and it just didn't recover.
            \" As being is to becoming, so is pure itellect to opinion, so is science to belief, and understanding to the peception of shadows.\" - Plato

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oryan02:

IAT wouldn't cause the car to run rich, all it does is advance timing.
              <hr></blockquote>

You're kidding right???

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Dan90RS ]</p>
              Dan<br />1990 RS 170,000 miles<br />3.4L collecting dust<br />700R4-to-T5 swap completed on Dec. 13, 2002

Comment

:D
                \" As being is to becoming, so is pure itellect to opinion, so is science to belief, and understanding to the peception of shadows.\" - Plato

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X